PDA

View Full Version : My DNA results are back!

Merry
21-10-18, 16:19
That didn't take long.....about 3 weeks.

Drum roll...…….

I am:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe 84%
(Mostly Southern England)

Germanic Europe 7%

Norway 4%

Ireland and Scotland 3%

France 2%

At the moment I don't have a tree connected to my account (the account is a new one as it's OH who has the Ancestry sub)

Can I upload a tree without a sub? If not, I read something about having someone else managing my matches, so OH could do that.

Any advice please, regarding uploading a tree?

kiterunner
21-10-18, 17:04
I should think it would be better for you to have your OH managing your DNA because then his sub can be used to view the matches and their trees etc.

kiterunner
21-10-18, 17:09
And the way to do that is click on DNA to get to your main DNA page, then Settings, then scroll down to the bottom where it shows "DNA Result Access", click on "Add a person" and then you can put in your OH's username and select "Manager" instead of "Viewer".

kiterunner
21-10-18, 17:14
But in answer to the other part of the question, you can upload a tree without a sub, but again, it would be better to put the tree on your OH's account so that the sub can be used if you want to search from the tree, look at hints, add records, etc. You could make it private and give access to selected people (for instance, DNA matches who contact you or who you contact) if you don't want to make it public.

Phoenix
21-10-18, 17:36
Agree with Kite with getting your OH to manage the account, at least to start with, though I would have the tree in your name and simply let him edit it.

It depends on whether you want to contact other people, or if you want them to contact you.

A private, linked tree means others can pick up your Monty surname (but have to do a lot of work to discover which Monty). A private unlinked tree makes it even more difficult for them to find your Montys via DNA matches.

A public linked tree means you can spot your mutual surnames. Best Mate's tree is currently public and out of 23k matches, only 3 people have contacted us in six months.

Merry
21-10-18, 18:23
Thanks for your responses which I will probably have to read a couple more times after I've eaten my dinner!

Will let you know how I get on.

kiterunner
21-10-18, 18:26
Agree with Kite with getting your OH to manage the account, at least to start with, though I would have the tree in your name and simply let him edit it.

*whispers* I think Merry actually uses the account which is in her OH's name.

Phoenix
21-10-18, 19:00
Surely not!!! *raises hands in shocked horror*

Merry
21-10-18, 19:38
lol Show me a couple with two separate Ancestry subs!!

Merry
21-10-18, 20:02
And the way to do that is click on DNA to get to your main DNA page, then Settings, then scroll down to the bottom where it shows "DNA Result Access", click on "Add a person" and then you can put in your OH's username and select "Manager" instead of "Viewer".

Right, just to remind myself, I've done this bit (thanks Kate!). Just waiting for OH to accept his invitation...….

Merry
21-10-18, 22:36
Just waiting for OH to accept his invitation...….

Finally!!

Now, is there anything I should know with regard to uploading my tree (or should I say our joint tree) on OH's account? For starters, I know I have quite a few living people on it so they need to be private. Also, I do have a couple of large branches who are not related to either of us. If I can remember who they are (:rolleyes:), do I need to exclude them?

Currently OH doesn't have a tree uploaded.

kiterunner
21-10-18, 23:33
Ancestry automatically keeps living people private, but I suppose this isn't exempt from software glitches.

People marked as “living” in family trees are not visible in searches at any privacy level. Living people are visible only to the tree owner and to anyone the tree owner invites to the tree and authorizes to see living people. If no death information is provided, people under 100 years old are considered to be living. If your tree is public, the only way to make someone private without making the whole tree private is to mark them as living.

If you upload files to a public tree that you later make private or delete, your files may continue to exist publicly or privately on family trees of people who saved them to their trees during the time your tree was public.

More info on here:
https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Family-Tree-Privacy

marquette
22-10-18, 08:15
My ancestry tree sprawls out like a spider web, so when my daughter wanted to "do" her DNA, I made a separate tree of just her direct ancestors - that way anyone with a DNA match could find the common ancestor (hopefully). Now I have also become a manager for our other close relatives who don't have their own trees - my father, my sister-in-law and my niece and linked them to the DNA tree.

I entered just enough information to identify each person in the tree, but will slowly add the rest of the records, like census but probably wont go too far in adding siblings and other relatives. If someone has a DNA match to one of our family, then they must have at least one ancestor the same.

I am astonished by the number of DNA matches who dont have a family tree attached and with others who do, they dont go back far enough to work out who the common family member is. I can tell, however, if my daughter and my sister-in-law both have a common match, it's from my husbands side of the family.

DI