PDA

View Full Version : I've just discovered my first parish register

Kit
14-10-18, 03:06
written in Latin. (I think). It is definitely not English.

I can work most of it out but am unsure of one part.

The whole thing says:

Matrimonium solemniz: inter Thomam Yendall hujus pochiae, (the ae is one letter) et Amiam Hawkins de Wiveliscombe decimo tertio Octobris.

My translation is : Marriage solemnised between Thomas Yendall of this parish and Amy?? Hawkins of Wiveliscombe 13 October.

My main concern is the bold part. Does that mean of this parish?

Kit
14-10-18, 03:24
Interestingly, as a side note, the next entry in the register is the birth of their child Eliza, just 4 months after the wedding.

ElizabethHerts
14-10-18, 07:54
Yes, Toni, "hujus pochiae" is an abbreviation for "hujus parochiae" - of this parish. It is often difficult looking up Latin words as nouns are declined. Hujus or huius is from hic, haec, hoc and is genitive denoting possession.

Merry
14-10-18, 07:59
Amy?? Hawkins of Wiveliscombe 13 October.

My main concern is the bold part. Does that mean of this parish?

Yes to both.

Kit
14-10-18, 08:19
Thank you both. I did a few weeks of Latin in my first year of high school but have absolutely no memory of it.

Merry
14-10-18, 08:21
lol I did a year, but the teacher used to let us do our English homework in his lessons, so I learned almost nothing about Latin!

Kit
14-10-18, 09:25
We did a term each of French, German and Indonesian. Towards the end of the year we were supposed to do a refresher of the first language so we could decide if we wanted to do any of the languages in later years. Most of us had already decided if we were going to do a language so a few friends talked the French teacher into teaching us Latin. I did enjoy it but I don't remember anything.