PDA

View Full Version : Goding family

kiterunner
12-10-18, 16:11
I've got a couple of DNA matches who have a Goding in their shared tree and I'm trying to figure out whether this proves that my Elizabeth Unknown was Elizabeth Goding who married Thomas Lucey 12 Dec 1784 at St Paul Covent Garden (witnesses Thomas Bayley, Susannah Burford and Elizabeth Ireland).

This is my Elizabeth Unknown thread:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=13327&highlight=goding

And the Goding family from the DNA matches goes back to George Goding who married Frances Strike 9 Feb 1784 at St James Westminster (witnesses Francis Jefferie and Ann Jefferie). Some trees have him down as the son of James Goding and Susanna Thompson, but this is disproved by James Goding's will. So I think the correct George is the one baptised 26 Feb 1764 at St James Westminster, son of Thomas Goding and Martha Lee who married 19 Mar 1758 also at St James Westminster (witnesses Jno Barker and James Goding). Now I'm trying to find an Elizabeth Goding the right age to marry in 1784 (my Elizabeth was supposedly born about 1759, according to her age at death) who was related to this Thomas Goding! Any ideas?

Phoenix
12-10-18, 18:24
No immediate ideas, since everybody seems to be literate but it's worth looking for Godden, Gooding, Goddend etc.

ElizabethHerts
12-10-18, 18:27
We have Godwin in our family and it is frequently mistranscribed - Godden, Goding, Godding, Goodwin and many other variants.

kiterunner
13-10-18, 16:20
Thanks for those ideas.