PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Anton and Jessie Rachel Hudson

Sue from Southend
08-10-18, 11:12
Alexander Anton born abt 1783 in Dublin according to various census was a Captain in the Army. https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=8860&h=6686705&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=SNS588&_phstart=successSource

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1861&h=18747445&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=8860

Jessie Rachel Hudson b 1794 in London - baptism found.

They married at some point and had children all over the world - West Indies, Jersey, Scotland. On retirement from the Army they settled in Plymouth.

Alexander died in 1873, death record, burial, will all found. Jessie died in 1876.

But I can't find a marriage. I'd also like a birth/baptism for Alexander but as it's Dublin I don't hold out much hope. It's possible that he was Catholic (would that have had any affect on his Army career?)

Any ideas where I might find a marriage?

kiterunner
08-10-18, 13:15
TNA's catalogue has an entry:

WO - Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Division within WO - General records of the War Office and predecessors and successor
WO 25 - War Office and predecessors: Secretary-at-War, Secretary of State for War, and Related Bodies, Registers
Subseries within WO 25 - MISCELLANEOUS LISTS AND RETURNS.
WO 25/3239 - WO 25. Reports of Officers' Marriages.

Catalogue description Name: Alexander Anton. Regiments: 8th West India Regiment; Half Pay; 4th West Indies...
This record has been digitised as part of the larger record

Go to record

More ways to view this record
Reference: WO 25/3239/16
Description:

Name: Alexander Anton. Regiments: 8th West India Regiment; Half Pay; 4th West Indies Regiment; 3rd West Indies Regiment; 8th West Indies Regiment. Dates of Service: 1804-1816.
Note: Descriptions relating to individuals have been created using information from a nominal card index relating to Army Officers' service compiled in the 1980s, which is not comprehensive and may contain some errors
Date: 1804-1816
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13324168

If you click on the "Go to record" button on their site (on the link above), you can download a PDF which it says will be approximately 266.5 MB in size, so it must contain the whole lot. But it is free. For some reason it gives the date range as 1830-1843 at that point but hopefully that is a mistake. You have to go through the process of ordering it although the price is £0.00 and then you can download two PDF's. I'm just having a go to see whether it does actually include the earlier date range.

kiterunner
08-10-18, 13:29
Okay, I've downloaded part 1 and it does say 1830 to 1844 at the beginning but it does actually include earlier dates. I think it means that someone applied for a copy of the marriage record between 1830 and 1844. The very first entry is Anton A, 8th WIR, 13 Oct 1813. Not sure how to find the page with the full marriage record on other than by browsing through.

kiterunner
08-10-18, 13:37
Luckily you don't have to browse through very far to find it. I think the pages may be in chronological order of marriage date. Their marriage is on image number 57 of the first PDF.

Extract from the Widows Pension Regulation dated 7th July 1830.
Officer's Name: Alexander Anton
Officer's Age at the time of marriage: 31
Regiment: Captain, Half Pay late 8th WI Regiment
Names of the Lady, at full length: Jessy Rachel Hudson.
The Lady's Age at the time of marriage: Nineteen years and six months
Date of Marriage: October 13th, 1813
Place where the Ceremony was performed: Port of Spain Trinidad
Names of the officiating clergyman and subscribing witnesses: J H Clapham; John Hudson, Eliza Hudson, George Enson.
Officer [i.e. the groom]'s place of residence: 32 1/2 Clarence St, Plymouth. [I don't know if this is where he was living when they got married or when the record was extracted at a later date.]

Sue from Southend
08-10-18, 14:02
Wow, Kite you have been busy while I was out! Thank you so much for browsing through the records.

I'm ashamed that I didn't look at TNA - I thought of it and then got side tracked.... Absolutely no excuse at all!

I'm off to have look to see what else there may be.

Thanks again