PDA

View Full Version : Who was Amelia Wilks?

Lindsay
18-09-18, 19:51
Hannah Wilks and William Rayment married at Shalford, Essex 24 March 1827.

Here they are in 1841, in Hornchurch, Essex
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8978/ESSHO107_329_330-0626?pid=4201451&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Kim3228&_phstart=successSource

With them is 80 year old Amelia Wilks, born in Essex. At first I thought she was probably Hannah's mother, but I've now discovered a baptism for Hannah Wilks in Shalford in 1806, parents Richard and Mildred, which would fit.

So, who was Amelia? Her death cert later in 1841 has her as the widow of John Wilks, labourer. The informant was a woman who worked as a nurse, so no clues there. I can't find a trace of Amelia and John Wilks anywhere. Can anyone see anything that I'm missing?

kiterunner
18-09-18, 22:06
Could it be that Mildred was always known as Milly, and somewhere along the way people got confused and thought it was short for Amelia instead? Though they would also have had to get confused about her husband's name too.

Phoenix
18-09-18, 22:25
Would agree wholeheartedly with Kite. My Millys were never known as anything else within the family, but the vicars had to expand the name. So some are baptised Amelia and others.... as Millicent. And some Millicents are buried as Amelia. And the deaf one crops up as Emily.

Lindsay
19-09-18, 08:37
Thanks for looking. Given the complete absence of John/Amelia from the records I think you could be right, and the nurse might have guessed her husband's name.

So frustrating...