PDA

View Full Version : Latin help needed again please

Elderflower
10-09-18, 14:55
I have a copy of a Will from the Wiltshire Wills on Ancestry. It is for Nathaniel Miell Alias Richards. Dated 1700. I have managed to read the main part of the first page of the Will but the small section in the bottom right hand corner is in Latin and has me defeated.

I can recognise the name Eliz. Miell Alias Richards who was the testators Wife. I presume this is either the Will being proven or something about the inventory being taken - which appears on page three of the Will.

Is anyone able to transcribe the information in the lower corner for me? I would be most grateful. It is possible the name of the City where the Will was proved was Sarum, the abode of Nathaniel Miell being Hackleston (later Haxton) in Fittleton, Wilts.

Thankyou for any help given.

Pat

ElizabethHerts
10-09-18, 18:56
Eliz: Miell alias Richards was sworn before Master Jecocke? Clerk Surrogate of the said Archdeaconry of Sarum 19th August 1700 to whom administration was granted with the will annexed &c

Elderflower
10-09-18, 20:21
Thank you Elizabeth, just what I needed.

Pat

Merry
11-09-18, 06:42
It is possible the name of the City where the Will was proved was Sarum, the abode of Nathaniel Miell being Hackleston (later Haxton) in Fittleton, Wilts.

Sarum (or Old Sarum) refers basically to what is now the city of Salisbury, Wiltshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Sarum

Elderflower
11-09-18, 17:30
Thanks Merry. I have done a lot of research in Wiltshire now that the PR & BTs are on Ancestry and transcriptions are on FMP. Using them together has been a joy, especially as I have a number of surnames that are easily mis-transcribed. The Wiltshire Wills on Ancestry and the index on FMP have been really helpful too in unravelling 15 of my ancestors with the same name of Thomas Webb. I have also found, by accident, that FMP has the Sarum Marriage Licence Bonds which have also helped enormously. These are not obviously available at first but a lot of my Wiltshire couples were married by licence rather than by Banns. I came across them after a Google search brought them up, so bookmarked that page on FMP and use them frequently.

Thought I would put this out there as it might be useful to know if you have Wiltshire ancestors.

Pat