PDA

View Full Version : Family Search facial recognition

ElizabethHerts
26-08-18, 16:59
I have just received an e-mail from Family Search:

"Do you look like your relatives? Use our facial recognition software to find out."

You are invited to upload a selfie and a family portrait and compare them.

Has anyone done this?

kiterunner
26-08-18, 17:35
I just saw that, Elizabeth, and couldn't quite see the point. (Though I would fail at the first hurdle as I have never taken a selfie.)

Olde Crone
26-08-18, 18:31
I can't see the point either. If you cannot see a likeness yourself then why do you need Ancestry to tell you there is? I think it's another one of those gimmicky things.

OC

ElizabethHerts
26-08-18, 18:38
I agree that I can't see the point either. I know I am like my mother (everyone has always told me so), although I have my father's colouring.

I find that people see different likenesses in people. With my grandchildren, one person says he/she is like one person, someone else says more like another. Frequently it is mannerisms and the way of talking which reminds you of someone, and that can't be detected by facial recognition software.

Olde Crone
26-08-18, 19:14
I already know I look like my relatives, lol, but something has just occurred to me. Suppose Ancestry tells you there is no likeness between you and (say) your father. What can of worms will that open up and what needless trouble might it cause.

Another point - will these photos be private or will Ancestry own them to do as they will?

OC

kiterunner
26-08-18, 21:38
It isn't ancestry, OC; it's FamilySearch.

Olde Crone
26-08-18, 21:46
Durh. I knew that Kate, was just testing you all.

*blushes"

Still, the principal is the same. What are they going to do with the photos and why are they doing it?

OC

kiterunner
26-08-18, 21:52
I can't find any privacy information about this specific feature, but FamilySearch's general privacy policy says that "In instances where your content submissions will be made publically available or shared with other third parties, we will ask for your express agreement either at the time you create a separate profile (for example, mormon.org or familysearch.org) or at the time you upload content (for example, when you upload video clips or genealogy information)." Not sure if I would trust this though as they seem to have quite a few software glitches.

Olde Crone
27-08-18, 16:23
Thanks Kate.

Just read on another forum that someone uploaded a photo of himself aged 17 and another aged 50 something and got a 33% likeness, lol.

OC

kiterunner
27-08-18, 17:53
So not worth bothering with, then!

Nell
27-08-18, 18:07
I agree you can just decide for yourself. Although I often amuse myself by looking at old photos and seeing different likenesses. My younger son is facially not like my side of the family, but when he talks, the rhythm of his speech reminds me of my late brother.