PDA

View Full Version : DNA confusion

crawfie
16-08-18, 13:12
I tested my DNA about a year ago through Ancestry and since then have been happily going through cousin matches finding links. However the following case has got me slightly confused - admittedly I haven't done a great deal of research into the technology, but wonder if someone can help clear this up.

Over the past week results have appeared on my matches which are all from the same family, a mother, daughter and grand-son. The mother is a 4th-6th cousin match with 24.8 centimorgans matched over 3DNA segments. On my tree she is a 5th cousin once removed, so fits well.

The daughter is a 5th-8th cousin match with 19.6 centimorgans over 1 DNA segment. 5th cousin twice removed on my tree.

The grandson however is a 4th-6th cousin match with 25.8 centimorgans over 3DNA segments. On my tree he is obviously 5th cousin 3 times removed.

According to Ancestry shared matches mother and Grandson match with each other but not with daughter. Daughter has shared matches to both of the other two.

Is it possible that the Grandson can end up with a higher match than his grandmother?

Thanks

Linda

Phoenix
16-08-18, 17:39
There would be nothing to prevent the grandson having matches with you via his father, who has not been tested. Alternatively, they got the swabs muddled up!

crawfie
17-08-18, 11:11
Thanks Phoenix, those were the conclusions I had also come to, but wondered if I was missing something else. At the moment the father's name doesn't seem to match anything I have, and as this branch had emigrated, close family were few and far between. I think a mix-up is more likely.