PDA

View Full Version : Seax - Essex Archives

Sue from Southend
13-08-18, 15:23
Grasping at straws! Does anyone else have access to these records?

I'm looking at a marriage in 1701, it's in Latin, a dreadful scrawl and whilst I can read the groom's name I can't make head nor tail of the bride.

Fingers crossed....

kiterunner
13-08-18, 16:36
I think some of the Essex PR images come up on FamilySearch, Sue. Do you want to give us the details in case we can access the image?

Sue from Southend
13-08-18, 16:46
I didn't know that FS had Essex images!

The record is St Peter, Nevendon, Essex. Anthony Coppin married in 1701. On SEAX it's image 18 in that register. There are only two marriages that year, Anthony's is the second one.

Thanks

kiterunner
13-08-18, 17:04
The Nevendon BT's are viewable on FamilySearch - but only at a FamilySearch Centre. :(

Sue from Southend
13-08-18, 17:25
Thanks for looking Kite - I'll have to enter the marriage on my tree without a spouse for now. Sadly the rector at that time didn't state the mother's name on baptisms:(

kiterunner
15-08-18, 13:41
Sue, I think it says Anthonius Coppin et - Turner vidua matrimonium contraxen??? meaning Anthony Coppin and - Turner widow were married. The - is on the actual image, not me being unable to decipher it! The ??? is me being unable to read it but it must mean "contracted".

Sue from Southend
15-08-18, 14:37
Thank you Kite!

I thought it began with a "T" but couldn't think of a possible Christian name that fitted.... now I know why!

I know times have changed (thankfully) but I get very cross when a woman's full name isn't used in a Parish record - she belonged to Mr Turner and now she's going to belong to Mr Coppin, who cares what her first name is:mad:

Any way thanks again. Off to see if I can find a death for a Mr Turner and then a possible marriage. I may go cross eyed ….