PDA

View Full Version : Is DNA Testing for you?

chiddicks
12-08-18, 15:06
See my latest blog on the merits of whether you should take a DNA test or not

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.com/2018/08/12/to-dna-or-not-dna-that-is-the-question/

JBee
12-08-18, 20:25
Problem with DNA at the moment is the numbers of people who have taken it (usually from the USA) and those that have who haven't done any research or produced a tree to enable comparisons.

On thing it did for us was to confirm that the father on grandmother's eldest sister's birth certificate was in fact her father where we thought it was someone else. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the rest of the family father's identity.

HarrysMum
15-08-18, 10:16
There was an interview with a police officer on the radio today. She spoke about how the police are monitoring public DNA sites like Gedmatch. They have already found relatives of wanted people and closing cold cases. Some are “third cousins” but they are able to match up enough DNA on their records of crime scenes.

Kit
15-08-18, 12:18
That would make for an uncomfortable first conversation - Hello Sir or madam, we believe you are related to a criminal in the case of .....

I know it is a good thing that cases are being solved. I just feel uncomfortable about the method.