PDA

View Full Version : At last! Found baptism!

Nell
12-08-18, 10:06
Hi

Many of you will recall my finding that gt x 3 uncle William Mealing ended up in Broadmoor after killing his fiancee, Sarah Moss in 1862.

I reawakened my interest in the case and went back to my research. I was puzzled that I hadn't found a baptism for Sarah. I'd assumed she was born in Colesbourne as I'd found likely candidates for Sarah in 1841 and 1851. But looking again I realised I had no proof the census entries I'd found were her.

The last census 1861 listed her as born in North Cerney. Looking at her siblings, I find her brothers were baptised in Duntisbourne Abbots and her sisters in North Cerney. The murder occurred in Rendcomb, next door to North Cerney so this seemed a likelier place.

Looking for any Sarahs with fathers called Richard with a wider date range I found her - baptised North Cerney in 1825, slightly earlier than I'd expected (1861 has her age as 31 but by the time of her death a few months later she'd lost a year!). She didn't come up on searches previously because the name was transcribed as MORSE!

Kit
13-08-18, 11:05
Well done Nell. It's great when you work something out.

Sue from Southend
13-08-18, 12:55
Hi

Many of you will recall my finding that gt x 3 uncle William Mealing ended up in Broadmoor after killing his fiancee, Sarah Moss in 1862.

I reawakened my interest in the case and went back to my research. I was puzzled that I hadn't found a baptism for Sarah. I'd assumed she was born in Colesbourne as I'd found likely candidates for Sarah in 1841 and 1851. But looking again I realised I had no proof the census entries I'd found were her.

The last census 1861 listed her as born in North Cerney. Looking at her siblings, I find her brothers were baptised in Duntisbourne Abbots and her sisters in North Cerney. The murder occurred in Rendcomb, next door to North Cerney so this seemed a likelier place.

Looking for any Sarahs with fathers called Richard with a wider date range I found her - baptised North Cerney in 1825, slightly earlier than I'd expected (1861 has her age as 31 but by the time of her death a few months later she'd lost a year!). She didn't come up on searches previously because the name was transcribed as MORSE!

Glad you've found her Nell. Just as a point of interest I have a Gloucestershire family named Morse that changed to Moss. I always search for both variations now.