PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't I guess?

Phoenix
07-08-18, 22:54
I've spent the last hour, looking for Rebecca Denton (nee Rowe/Mears) in Jarrow in 1881. She was born in Edgefield.

Here she is: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7572/DURRG11_5022_5026-0595?pid=4566817&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D7572%26h%3D4566817%26ti d%3D%26pid%3D%26usePUB%3Dtrue%26_phsrc%3DQWd724%26 _phstart%3DsuccessSource&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=QWd724&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true

Well, in Durham you would think it must be Sedgefield, not Edgefield!

Anybody else find an enumerator who thinks he knows best?

Merry
08-08-18, 06:59
lol! He also seems to have refused to accept she was from Norfolk like her husband.

In my tree it's usually enumerators who add an H to the beginning of a name which really should start with a vowel! I can't recall that happening with any place names though.

Jill
08-08-18, 07:21
1891 my 2x great grandfather is down as being born in Great Marsden, Kent when he was actually from Great Missenden in Bucks.

I get the H problem too Merry in my own life, having been born in Enfield, Middx but now living near Henfield, Sussex, if I say where I was born people just think I'm dropping my aitches!

kiterunner
08-08-18, 08:42
We did come across an Australian newspaper death report recently on here which said the deceased died in Sydney when it was actually Lydney, Gloucestershire.

Nell
11-08-18, 13:39
In my tree the Emmons family have been transcribed as Hammond. On one census the enumerator has probably misheard gt x a few grandmother, and put her birthplace as Langley, Norfolk, the village next door to the one enumerated. She was, however, born in Langham, Norfolk.

My son has recently got interested in family history (yay!) and is impressed with my ability to deal with Victorian handwiting. He wonders, like me, why they weren't forced to write in capital letters. At least a block capital at the beginning of a name would make a lot of deciphering easier.

marquette
12-08-18, 10:39
We did come across an Australian newspaper death report recently on here which said the deceased died in Sydney when it was actually Lydney, Gloucestershire.
I think the Sydney Newspapers just assumed the fancy L was an S - they had probably never heard of Lydney !

I once counted the variations of the town name Martock in the 1881 census - there were more than 20, from pretty much all over England and Wales, as people moved away from Martock Somerset.

Di