PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Ancestry re missing information

Phoenix
28-07-18, 18:06
PCC wills go from

Piece 1105: Cornwallis, Quire Numbers 301-348 (1783)

to

Piece 1107: Cornwallis, Quire Numbers 397-447 (1783)

Piece 1106, a mere 800 or so images, is missing.

How do I tell them?

kiterunner
28-07-18, 18:29
You could try this link and then click on Website - Historical record collections.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/suggestions

ElizabethHerts
28-07-18, 18:38
I had a similar problem, Phoenix, but I didn't make a note of the numbers.

Phoenix
28-07-18, 19:08
Okay, contacted, thanks. Though I'm not holding my breath. I don't like the way they say they welcome our comments, but won't reply. Were it not for TNA and FMP, I wouldn't know it was missing.

I was looking for the will of someone who was murdered, to see whether there was a hint in the will!

annswabey
28-07-18, 22:44
This sort of thing makes me so mad - not just Ancestry but FMP as well If they are going to digitise, do it properly and completely, otherwise it's worthless

Phoenix
29-07-18, 08:00
In prehistory, when I did slip-indexing of records, you counted the lines and counted the slips to ensure the numbers matched. This is absolutely basic stuff and frankly more important than whether an entry is correctly transcribed.

kiterunner
29-07-18, 15:30
Okay, contacted, thanks. Though I'm not holding my breath. I don't like the way they say they welcome our comments, but won't reply. Were it not for TNA and FMP, I wouldn't know it was missing.

I was looking for the will of someone who was murdered, to see whether there was a hint in the will!

If you can get a free trial of the Gold sub for The Genealogist website, you should be able to view PCC wills on there. But if you do, read the Terms and Conditions and make sure to turn off automatic renewals and / or to cancel your membership before they can charge you. I think that Family History Centres have free access to The Genealogist, but I've only managed to find info confirming that is the case for the London one.

Also, Surrey History Centre's website says that The Genealogist website is free to use there, if that's any help?

Otherwise the PCC wills are £3.50 each on TNA but I'm sure you know that already!