PDA

View Full Version : David Griffyn Will

Terri
14-07-18, 10:33
Would it have been normal practice to bequeath money to children in order of age? i.e. the older children receiving more than the younger children?

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=OR/SSL/WILLS/00010844

Jill
14-07-18, 10:50
Often in order of age, sometimes sons listed first then daughters, but the amounts may not necessarily relate to ages.

Phoenix
16-07-18, 13:43
You cannot tell from a will what other provision a father may have made for his children.

Some may have apprenticeships to enable them to earn a living, others copyhold land automatically inherited. Daughters may have marriage portions.

Unless a parent had a dislike of a particular child, they seem to bend over backwards to ensure that the ultimate effect of a will was equality between the siblings, or means to earn a living if a land-holding could not be split.

ElizabethHerts
16-07-18, 13:57
I agree, Phoenix. In my earlier days of research a contact bemoaned the fact that her ancestor wasn't left as much money as my ancestor. The two were brothers. As I became more experienced with wills I realised that the probable scenario was that her ancestor became a blacksmith like his father and was already working as such. My ancestor was the youngest child and not as well established. I expect her ancestor had financial and practical help from his father, the testator.

Terri
17-07-18, 14:38
Ooops sorry for the delay, I got sidetracked and forgot I posted this!
Thanks for the input ladies.