PDA

View Full Version : Too early or late??

Kit
13-07-18, 09:11
The minister performing the burials on this page is commenting on how early or late something is. I can only think it is when they arrive to be buried and not on the time of death, as a couple were 10 or 15 minutes early. It is quite odd and I wonder if he actually spoke to the families involved or just had his grumble in the register.

Too late?? (https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=gbprs%2fstaff%2fstoke-on-trent-st-peter-burials-d1188-11-1813-1823%2f00243)

Jill
14-07-18, 10:41
"1/2 hour too late, bragged about it" for those who have no FMP sub. Burial of 11 month old John Hopwood of Cobridge at Stoke on Trent 23rd April 1822. [Two other children also buried that day. Whatever it means it's a nasty comment.

Further down the page there's marginal note against two other burials "one of these 5 hours late"

Kit
15-07-18, 07:55
It is nasty and on another page there were a couple that were early. It's just odd.

I've had useful nasty comments in the past about paternity which was helpful to locate people, but this has no point that I can see.

Jill
15-07-18, 09:27
I've had useful nasty comments in the past about paternity which was helpful to locate people, but this has no point that I can see.

Yes, there can be useful nasty comments, OH's 4x great grandfather was buried under his father's surname though his parents didn't marry until a couple of months after his birth, and when the vicar found out he out a scornful note in the burial register on what his name "should" have been abnd why. It could well have been my ancestor who tipped him off though as he was the registrar of deaths in that parish and would have known all the tittle tattle!

Kit
18-07-18, 10:34
I've had a similar case Jill. A man married as Bill Smith Jones but the register said that he was illegitimate and should be Bill Smith and Jones was his father's surname. It was really useful as I could then find the baptism and identify Dad.