PDA

View Full Version : Another murder solved using DNA and online trees

Lindsay
25-06-18, 14:03
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/24/discarded-restaurant-napkin-led-arrest-32-year-old-us-child/

maggie_4_7
25-06-18, 19:05
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/24/discarded-restaurant-napkin-led-arrest-32-year-old-us-child/

Good.

Nowhere to hide nowhere to run now.

Although unfortunately some criminals are forensically aware these days the consolation is forensic science is so advanced now it is hard to wipe trace evidence and DNA out of the scene of crime and the victim.

Olde Crone
25-06-18, 21:09
My only problem with this story is that dna evidence is not accepted as primary evidence in many states in America, so they are depending on a confession really.

But, as Maggie says, good! Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide and I bet there are a few murderers and rapists having a few sleepless nights....well, I really hope so.

OC

Kit
26-06-18, 13:51
I'm glad he was caught but I don't like the idea of my dna being used for a purpose I didn't give it for.

That said I am not a murderer, nor have I done a geneological dna test.

Nell
29-06-18, 16:20
I'm glad he was caught but I don't like the idea of my dna being used for a purpose I didn't give it for.

That said I am not a murderer, nor have I done a geneological dna test.

Glad to know you're not a murderer - but we've only got your word for it!

Olde Crone
29-06-18, 16:26
Lol Nell, valid point!

Just one of the many reasons I would not do a dna test for genealogical purposes. I have nothing to hide but I object to the principle that once done, the information belongs to the hosting site for them to do with what they like. At the moment that is high-minded criminal tracking by law enforcement officers. Tomorrow it could be law enforcement of a different kind.

OC

Kit
08-07-18, 09:38
Glad to know you're not a murderer - but we've only got your word for it!

haha. I wouldn't mind giving dna to prove my innocence, I just object to it being used for a purpose I didn't give it for.

OC the police would have to apply for a warrant to get the evidence from ancestry, or whoever holds it, so it is not their fault. I just object to the fact they can get it.

kiterunner
08-07-18, 11:44
I thought they got it from a different site which didn't have rules stopping them from giving it out?

Kit
13-07-18, 06:52
I would think that a court order would override any rules. The rules would stop them giving it to a third party, except required by law, is my guess.