PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Bennett, born about 1800, Chard Somerset

marquette
13-06-18, 07:18
I am looking for a baptism or birth of Samuel Bennett, around 1800 in or around, Chard Somerset.

Several ancestry trees have Samuel Bennett born to William Bennett and Rebecca Waldron at Whitelackington Somerset in 1801. But I think that they have the wrong parents for Samuel, just because its the only one they can find.

Later, their Samuel Bennett is listed in census records as born Chard, living in Sheppey Kent as a bricklayer. He married twice (1820 to Sarah Salter in Chard, 1847 to Patience Cackett in Sheppey). The 1841 census finds him a mason living in Chard, but N to born in county.

But I think that "our" Samuel Bennett appears in the 1851 and 1861 census as a tea dealer in Bath (born Whitelackington). He and all his siblings were baptised at the Broadway Independent Chapel, nearby to Whitelackington. Dad William was Druggist of Hermitage near Whitelackington. I am still seeking him in 1841 and after 1861.

I don't know how to convince anyone else that they are looking at two different Samuel Bennetts, without being able to find another baptism in or around Chard, or another Bennett family in that area.

I have looked at as many parish register sites as I can - ancestry, fmp, familysearch, and freeREG without an obvious candidate, so am looking for suggestions.

ElizabethHerts
13-06-18, 07:35
I am looking for a baptism or birth of Samuel Bennett, around 1800 in or around, Chard Somerset.

Several ancestry trees have Samuel Bennett born to William Bennett and Rebecca Waldron at Whitelackington Somerset in 1801. But I think that they have the wrong parents for Samuel, just because its the only one they can find.

Later, their Samuel Bennett is listed in census records as born Chard, living in Sheppey Kent as a bricklayer. He married twice (1820 to Sarah Salter in Chard, 1847 to Patience Cackett in Sheppey). The 1841 census finds him a mason living in Chard, but N to born in county.

But I think that "our" Samuel Bennett appears in the 1851 and 1861 census as a tea dealer in Bath (born Whitelackington). He and all his siblings were baptised at the Broadway Independent Chapel, nearby to Whitelackington. Dad William was Druggist of Hermitage near Whitelackington. I am still seeking him in 1841 and after 1861.

I don't know how to convince anyone else that they are looking at two different Samuel Bennetts, without being able to find another baptism in or around Chard, or another Bennett family in that area.

I have looked at as many parish register sites as I can - ancestry, fmp, familysearch, and freeREG without an obvious candidate, so am looking for suggestions.

FMP has Somerset baptisms. You say you have your Samuel's baptism at Broadway. Did he marry? Are you certain that your Samuel's father was William?.

kiterunner
13-06-18, 07:54
Do you know what details are given for Samuel's father on the marriage to Patience Cackett, Marquette?

(Edit - also, it looks as though she was Patience Ann Taylor on that 1847 marriage, Patience Ann Cackett having married a Robert Taylor in 1841.)

marquette
13-06-18, 12:32
I know that the Samuel baptised at Broadway had parents William and Rebecca, but I know nothing about the one supposedly born in Chard (or out of county, if you believe the 1841 census).

The Whitelackington Bennetts were staunchly non-conformist, father William Bennett baptised or registered at the Taunton Paul Street Independent Chapel in 1751. His son Daniel registered all his children at the Zion Independent Chapel Frome.

Up to the 1861 census, our Samuel was not married, a tea dealer in Bath. In the 1851 census, with him as assistant tea dealer, was his nephew Edmund Rawlings, son of Joseph Rawlings and Charlotte nee Bennett (sister of Samuel) She was baptised at Broadway independent in 1782. Samuel was also a witness at their marriage.

Because I don't believe the Chard one belongs to our Whitelackington family, I have not researched him so I don't know what his marriage certificate to Patience says. I will ask those who know more about him. Witnesses at the 1820 wedding were Joseph or Ralph Baulch and someone unreadable.

marquette
13-06-18, 12:43
I have been checking the ancestry family trees and it seems like most of them have taken their information from one person, and no-one has researched the marriage to Patience at all. (if I know more details like actual date or witnesses from a certificate or register entry, I usually try to include them, to indicate I have more than just the index entry).

A couple of trees indicate the Chard one's parents might be William and Judith. Off to look into this.

kiterunner
13-06-18, 13:08
Your Samuel has a nephew Edmund Rawlings with him in 1851, age 39, unmarried, born Frome. This looks like Edmund in 1841:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8978/LANHO107_562_563-0670/5892131?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fgst%3d-6&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults
Tea dealer in Liverpool, age 35, born out of county.

And in 1861 Edmund has an unmarried sister Charlotte Rawlings, age 48, teacher, born Frome, and nephews Joseph (10), Albert (7), and Keneth(?) (6) Smith, all born Hornsey Middlesex. So hopefully these people connect to your Samuel's tree?

Edit - I see I spent so long on this that you had posted it in one of your replies in the meantime! Surely Charlotte and Edmund prove that the tea dealer is your Samuel.

marquette
13-06-18, 20:59
Edit - I see I spent so long on this that you had posted it in one of your replies in the meantime! Surely Charlotte and Edmund prove that the tea dealer is your Samuel.

Not to worry, we are working on different sides of the world.

I agree that the tea dealer is our Samuel, but how do you convince people who think otherwise and have for years ? I don't know whether they truly belong to the other Samuel (who had a grandson James Mallet Bennett who was a minor celebrity in his time, here in Australia), or from another branch of our Bennetts.

I still need to find another Samuel Bennett baptised around 1800, probably belonging to a mason or bricklaying family, to show there is another possibility.

Thanks for finding Edmund and Charlotte Rawlings in 1841 and 1861 - I can see I need to go back and do some more work on Samuel's siblings and their children. Maybe that will lead to a solution.

marquette
14-06-18, 10:31
Your Samuel has a nephew Edmund Rawlings with him in 1851, age 39, unmarried, born Frome. This looks like Edmund in 1841:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/8978/LANHO107_562_563-0670/5892131?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fgst%3d-6&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults
Tea dealer in Liverpool, age 35, born out of county.

And in 1861 Edmund has an unmarried sister Charlotte Rawlings, age 48, teacher, born Frome, and nephews Joseph (10), Albert (7), and Keneth(?) (6) Smith, all born Hornsey Middlesex. So hopefully these people connect to your Samuel's tree?

Joseph, Albert and Kenneth are the children of Edmund and Charlotte's sister Mary who married Henry Smith - luckily they all have middle names to make them more distinguishable (Kenneth is Kenneth Rawlings Smith).

I just found this in Trove.
The Empire (newspaper) 21 Jun 1862
"BENNETT—By railway accident, at Sydney, South Wales, Mr.
Samuel Bennett, tea dealer, of Bath, Somerset, uncle to
Mr. James and Samuel Bennett, of the firm of S. Bennett
and Co., tea dealers, 482, George-street, Sydney."

Lots more to find now !

marquette
15-06-18, 07:41
Well, I know a lot more about James and Samuel Bennett, now.

James and Samuel were among the children of William Bennett and Sophia Rawlings (keeping it in the family - William was also the brother of Charlotte and Samuel Bennett).

Strangely, there is no death registration for Samuel Bennett, for Sydney NEW South Wales, and as all the death notices say SOUTH WALES, I am wondering if it should was indeed in South Wales, and the Sydney papers mistook the place name. Off to search for railway accidents !

kiterunner
15-06-18, 08:56
There is a George Street in Sydney, NSW, and I can't find a Sydney in Wales. It would have to be a fairly big place to have a number 482 street number.
Nearest I can find in Wales on FreeBMD / GRO for that death is a Samuel Bennett age 59, Apr-Jun 1862 Chepstow district.

kiterunner
15-06-18, 09:02
Aha! National Probate Calendar 1862:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1904/31874_222587-00170/5114421?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk %2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fqh%3dl1omryRKzy73hMUpDvXF3Q%253D%2 53D%26db%3dUKProbateCal%26gss%3dsfs28_ms_db%26new% 3d1%26rank%3d1%26msT%3d1%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26gsfn%3ds am*%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln%3dben*t%26gsln_x%3d1%26msd dy%3d1862%26msddy_x%3d1%26msddp%3d2%26MSAV%3d2%26u idh%3dvm5&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

BENNETT, Samuel
Effects under £2,000. 20 June. The Will with a Codicil of Samuel Bennett late of 18 High-street in the City of Bath Tea Coffee and Spice Merchant deceased who died 26 April 1862 at Lydney in the County of Gloucester was proved at Bristol by the oath of George Sturmey of Weston near the said City Wine Merchant one of the Executors.

And Lydney was in Chepstow district, so the death registration in my previous post must be the right one.

marquette
15-06-18, 22:51
Thank you, Kiterunner !

I knew of Lydney, but didn't think it was in South Wales. Now I can fill in that bit.
I wondered about the Chepstow registration, being around the right time, but was not sure if it should have been earlier for news to reach Sydney NSW.

George St Sydney, is pretty much our "High St", so yes 482 would not be a stretch.
From the maps it seems to have been not far from where our beautiful Queen Victoria Building now stands (QVB was built as the produce markets but now a swanky shopping centre).

So that leaves me still seeking a viable alternative Samuel Bennett born around the same time who lived in Chard, but maybe not born there. Who was a mason and moved to Sheppey. I can see why they picked up "our" Samuel Bennett, finding another one is not easy.

marquette
15-06-18, 22:58
Found a report on the accident -

NAQ General Advertiser, 29 Jul 1862 - just an excerpt -

"one of the passengers in the first compartment— believed to be Mr. S. Bennett, tea
merchant of Market-place, Bath, from a letter found in his possession — was thrown
upon the line; his leg was broken and shockingly lacerated, and he expired soon
after from the hemorrhage."

Wow ! No fingerprint or DNA identification, just a letter he had with him !

Edit - further reports indicate his leg was actually "Cut off" not just broken - so no wonder he died.

marquette
16-06-18, 09:06
So, I am now totally sidetracked from looking for another Samuel Bennett.

My Samuel Bennett had a brother William who was a woollen draper and moved to Clapham. Brother William had a son Edwin, who was a housekeeper at the House of Lords and a son William who was an artist, who had a son Henry Bennett (b 1843) who married a girl called Emma Louisa Palm.

So, I was just checking her pre-marriage census record, just to check her details, and she showed up in Hurst Berkshire (a small village where my COLLIS ancestors lived). In the 1861 census, she and her parents, lived in Broadcommon Cottage and they had a house servant called Eliza Harwood. I nearly fell off my chair !

That is so weird, because my 3xg grandmother was also Eliza Harwood, but in 1861 she was married, and lived in Sussex; her daughter Catherine was also married, to Edmund Collis and living in Hurst (at Wards Cross). Further weirdness, my parents stayed at the B&B in Hurst, called Broadcommon Cottage in 2004 when they visited.

Eventually, I will find my way back to looking for the other Samuel Bennett, but I am having so much fun tracing this non-conformist family.