PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA

Phoenix
16-05-18, 13:55
Best mate - who has no computer, internet, smart phone etc - was made a present of a DNA kit.

She understood that she would receive the results in 6-8 weeks. (via her daughter's email)

She hasn't, but my god-daughter has been bombarded with messages from "cousins".

As she has no tree online, she's fairly safe, since none of the messages appear to be from anyone nearly related.

But is this other people's experience? She thought her DNA was her own, not to be shared with the universe without her permission.

Anstey Nomad
16-05-18, 14:09
I suspect a box went unchecked.

Mr Nomad did his, for a laugh, after his Punjabi friend turned out to be significantly Finnish! Much to my annoyance, he checked the box that said he didn't want to know about matches, so he only got the pie chart.

BlueSavannah
16-05-18, 14:48
I believe that previously once your results with Ancestry came through, you automatically got matched up with people who shared your DNA. This was the case when I tested myself and husband.

Now, you are asked the option of whether you want to be included in other peoples matches search and if not, then you tick a box. If you tick this box, you will simply just receive your results and you will neither see your matches and they wont see you. This happened when I recently tested both my parents.

Hope that makes sense :)

Phoenix
16-05-18, 15:37
I suspect a box went unchecked.

Mr Nomad did his, for a laugh, after his Punjabi friend turned out to be significantly Finnish! Much to my annoyance, he checked the box that said he didn't want to know about matches, so he only got the pie chart.

I suspect so too: BM is very near sighted, and daughter's phone has a tiny screen.

Most of BM's matches are Trinidadians and she does suspect some unknown slave-owning ancestor.

Phoenix
16-05-18, 15:38
I believe that previously once your results with Ancestry came through, you automatically got matched up with people who shared your DNA. This was the case when I tested myself and husband.

Now, you are asked the option of whether you want to be included in other peoples matches search and if not, then you tick a box. If you tick this box, you will simply just receive your results and you will neither see your matches and they wont see you. This happened when I recently tested both my parents.

Hope that makes sense :)

I'll ask if goddaughter can find that box and change it. I suspect that it is she who is most irritated by all these messages!