PDA

View Full Version : West Yorkshire in the 1700s tything

tenterfieldjulie
16-05-18, 04:38
Trying to understand the practices or significance of events in West Yorkshire in the 1700s.

Michael Sheard married Elizabeth Mallinson in 1764 in Kirkheaton. Register said he was of Heaton. Baptised 1740 Kirkheaton, father also Michael, who died 25/2/1778 of Holebottom, Lepton of jaundice.

Tything – Land Taxes

The register for West Yorkshire - Agbrigg, Lepton is on Ancestry from 1782 to 1832.
Some years the pages are damaged and some years better recorded saying exonerated etc ..

I would really appreciate a better understanding of who is paying for what and who owns what.

Would Tything have started earlier than this and would family inherit?

There is a Levi Sheard who is also paying tythes for Lepton, but I can’t see a family connection although I would imagine there is.

Basic Summary as follows: (E & OE):confused:

Lepton - Years 1782 – 1785

Proprietor Occupier Sum
John Mallinson Michael Sheard 7/2
The Rev Mr Barton do for Tythe field 15/6
Himself for Tythe 15/6

Also 1787-1788

John Mallinson Michael Sheard 7/2
The Rev Mr Smithson do for Tythe field 15/6
Himself for Tythe 15/6
Joshua Poole Michael Sheard 7/6

Michael Sheard buried Kirkheaton 22/7/1788 of Lepton

(11 children born Lepton between 1765 and 1786 – 7 to survive him – some Kirkheaton baptism/burials from 1778 also note Cowms as well as Lepton)

Lepton - Years 1789, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94

Proprietor Occupier Sum
John Mallinson Widow Sheard 7/2
Himself for Tythe 15/6
Also Joshua Poole Widow Sheard 7/6

Lepton - Years 1795, 94, 95, 96

Proprietor Occupier Sum
John Mallinson Elizabeth Sheard 7/2
Samuel Walker for Tythe 15/6
Also Joshua Poole Elizabeth Sheard 7/6

Lepton - Years 1797 to 1805
Proprietor Occupier Sum
John Mallinson Elizabeth Sheard 7/2
Samuel Walker for Tythe 15/6

Basically above is repeated from 1799 to 1805 where she is recorded as Betty.

She is buried Kirkheaton, Elizabeth widow of Michael Sheard of Lepton on 5/3/1806.

Janet in Yorkshire
19-05-18, 16:51
Originally tythes/tithes were 10% of everything produced on the land -crops and animals. (I have a copy of the arrangements for selecting tithes in my area - pen up 10 sheep, pick one out and release the other nine etc)
Later on , tithes were replaced by a monetary sum, which is, I guess, what had happened in the area you are referring to. From my village history research, I think the sum of money to be paid depended upon the acreage of land owned or rented by a farmer, husbandman i.e not every household had to pay. The tithe was paid to the church, but I'm not sure who set the overall tithe, nor if it varied annually, according to crop production. Where I live, some of the farms had areas of dale or pastureland, which could not be cultivated, but which were used for keeping stock. I have found only a few tithe lists and the amounts payable seem to increase over the years. As in your case, only names are listed rather than properties, but it has been possible to combine the tithe lists with other information and work out the various parcels of land involved.

Jay

tenterfieldjulie
21-05-18, 12:17
Many thanks Jay. I am finding tything a fascinating subject.

On Ancestry there was reference to a history book on the parish of Batley, written by Michael Sheard (I would love a copy as it is nearly 500 pages, so a lot to absorb).

I think on about page 107 he goes into tything and it is absolutely fascinating. As you said everything produced was tythed. I had seen reference somewhere to a tythe barn, but hadn't realised that was where all the percentages of hay, corn, fruit, etc etc was stored. In the same light, I suppose the tax collector grew on the young animals, or maybe they sold them at market?

I am fighting a head cold at the moment, but I am looking forward to going back and reading the Batley reference book and then going back and looking at exactly what is written about the Sheard tythes at Lepton. I believe that The Genealogist has quite a few tythe references and maps, so that is another avenue to explore.