PDA

View Full Version : Same couple marries twice ?

Rick
02-01-10, 22:01
I'm currently tracing an offshoot of the main tree and have come across something I can't explain on the LMA records on Ancestry.

Albert Henry Rogers married Alice Hall 6 Apr 1913 St James the Less, Bethnal Green. He is 21, a soldier and his father was William, a fireman. She is also 21 and her father is Alfred, a labourer. A witness was Albert Henry Rawle who married Albert's sister Florence.

And then he married her again 25 Feb 1914 St Mark Victoria Park (Bow). He is 23 and in the army, correct detais for father. She is also 23 - correct details for father. Witnesses are Lavinia Morris, Albert's sister, and her husband Richard George Morris.

So it's definitely the same couple - any ideas why they would marry twice ????

A very puzzled Rick. :confused:

kiterunner
02-01-10, 22:03
Yes, it wasn't that unusual for soldiers to do this - if they didn't have the army's permission to marry then they would not get the benefits of a married soldier, e.g. married quarters, allowances and so on, so they would get married again, this time with permission from the army.

Rick
02-01-10, 22:10
Yes, it wasn't that unusual for soldiers to do this - if they didn't have the army's permission to marry then they would not get the benefits of a married soldier, e.g. married quarters, allowances and so on, so they would get married again, this time with permission from the army.

Well you learn something every day !! Thanks for your help.

Rick.

Mandy in Wiltshire
05-01-10, 08:46
Well you learn something every day !! Thanks for your help.

Rick.

I'm sure that Kate's solution is the correct one, but if you come across this again for someone who's not in the Army, it could be for the same reason as one of my ancestors. They got married twice and it was because when they got married the first time, the groom was still married to his previous wife :eek: After he'd been charged with bigamy, he divorced the original wife and then 'remarried' legally :rolleyes:

Merry
05-01-10, 12:29
And another reason could be that they had different religious backgrounds. I've seen several duplicate marriages for couples who married in Catholic and C of E churches, either on the same day or within a few days, for instance. (I agree that's Kate's suggestion is by far the most likely in this case though)

Nell
05-01-10, 16:21
I suppose it balances out all those couples whose marriages we can't find at all!

Rick
05-01-10, 20:34
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Nell - I hadn't looked at it that way !!

Rick.