PDA

View Full Version : Boram/Boreham of Moreton, Ongar, Essex

tenterfieldjulie
21-04-18, 11:47
Hi Everyone,
I have started looking for a friend's family.
I am very rusty at this and my conclusions may be not correct.
My friend's mother was a Boram for Moreton, Ongar in Essex.
I have been able to find some information, but I am not quite sure where the best sources are for records for Essex and would appreciate suggestions please.
I have found Census information and FreeBDM records but would like to be more accurate.
I have found the marriage of Frederick Boram and Lily Pettit at Ongar in Essex in 1897, but not viewed the record. They are direct ancestors.
Fred was born C 1868 and his parents are William Boram/Borham/Boreham and Susannah. I thought I had their marriage at Camberwell in 1859, but there is a choice of grooms and according to a family search newspaper article (which I haven't viewed) her groom is another man.
A further generation back, I believe I have found William, birth C1838, on the census, with his father James, who married Eliza Ann White 1843 Ongar, Essex, next children born approx 1844, 47, 49,50, 51,56 from Census.
If anyone can view that marriage, it may clarify if it says James is a widower when he married Eliza.
James was a Sawyer/Carpenter, as was William, who is listed in 1906 Kelly's as a carpenter from Moreton, Essex.
James I believe was born C1810-12 in Moreton, Essex but I have not found his parents.
Many thanks for your assistance. Julie

Merry
21-04-18, 14:27
Fred was born C 1868 and his parents are William Boram/Borham/Boreham and Susannah. I thought I had their marriage at Camberwell in 1859, but there is a choice of grooms and according to a family search newspaper article (which I haven't viewed) her groom is another man.

If this is Fred's birth reg:

BORHAM, FREDERICK mmn WHITBREAD
GRO Reference: 1868 S Quarter in ONGAR Volume 04A Page 103

Then this looks like their marriage, but William the father has a 'new' surname - White - and Boreham as his middle name!!

Marriages Dec 1859
Whitbread Susannah Ongar 4a 109
White William Boreham Ongar 4a 109

Merry
21-04-18, 14:29
Now I've read the next part of your post:

A further generation back, I believe I have found William, birth C1838, on the census, with his father James, who married Eliza Ann White 1843 Ongar, Essex, next children born approx 1844, 47, 49,50, 51,56 from Census.

....I see White isn't a new name! Isn't it likely Eliza Ann White is the mother of William, but James Boreham might not be his father?

Merry
21-04-18, 14:43
In 1841 James Boreham aged 20 is listed with Jane Boreham aged 70 and Henry Boreham aged 15, in Moreton.

A few pages on is this White family:

James White 60 carpenter Yes
Sarah White 60 Yes
Elizabeth White 30 Yes
Eliza White 20 Yes
William White 3 Yes

I'm thinking Eliza and William are the ones you want.

tenterfieldjulie
21-04-18, 21:36
Merry you are amazing to unravel that. Many thanks.
I checked BDM and Sep Q 1837 ref 12 117 both William Ongar and William White are registered!!
Would he have been re-registered later, or would he also have been registered in his father's name too as they weren't married? Thanks.

kiterunner
21-04-18, 21:51
He would only have been registered once but indexed under both surnames.

tenterfieldjulie
21-04-18, 23:42
He would only have been registered once but indexed under both surnames.

Thanks Kate. Would that be because they weren't married?

Merry
22-04-18, 07:06
I also thought there was a double index entry in 1837, but in fact the Boram entry has a mmn (something beginning with P, I've forgotten now!), so I think it's just a coincidence the two entries are on the same GRO page number and they relate to two different children - William Boram, a child of married parents (so not your man) and William White, the child of Eliza White (assuming she had him registered - it's possible there was more than one illegitimate William White born around the same time in the same area!).

tenterfieldjulie
22-04-18, 10:05
Merry can you tell me where can I view the 1843 marriage image of of James Boreham and Eliza White?
I would also like to see the image of the 1804 marriage of James Boreham and Jane Pavitt. On freereg I saw this marriage and it has their ages as 34 and 35 and I am wondering if it was an transcription error?

kiterunner
22-04-18, 10:23
Merry can you tell me where can I view the 1843 marriage image of of James Boreham and Eliza White?

FreeBMD has a "Postem" added for that marriage:
08/02/2014 At the parish church, Moreton, Essex (after banns) on 7 Feb 1843 James Boreham, 30, bachelor to Eliza Ann White, 30, spinster.

The image is on SEAX:
https://secureweb1.essexcc.gov.uk/SeaxPAM/Result_Details.aspx?ID=445091
(image no 7 if the link doesn't take you to it)
But you have to pay a sub to view it any bigger. I think we can more or less decipher most of it from the small free copy on there though: both resident at Moreton, his occupation sawyer, his father James Boreham (I can't make out the occupation at the moment), hers James White, carpenter, witnesses Samuel White and Jane White.

kiterunner
22-04-18, 10:38
And this is the James Boreham / Jane Pavitt marriage on SEAX (image number 24, second entry on the left-hand page):
https://secureweb1.essexcc.gov.uk/SeaxPAM/Result_Details.aspx?ID=35815

It's hard to make out as it's so small but the ages do look like 34 and 35.

Merry
22-04-18, 11:35
I'm so glad you posted something with Pavitt in it!!

Caused me to go back and look again at the 1837 birth registrations and I see I made a mistake in what I said previously.....

The birth reg for Wm Boram is the one with no mmn so presumably an illegitimate birth. It's the White birth reg that has mmn Pavitt (by chance!), so I had the info the wrong way round. So sorry about that.

tenterfieldjulie
22-04-18, 14:03
Rabbits I typed a post and lost it.

I am now trying to unravel one of the Boram wives, Lillie (Lily Gertrude) Pettit/Pettitt, born 1876 Moreton, Essex, unfortunately the baptism OPCs only go to 1868.

By 1881 Census, her mother, Elizabeth, is a widow with 5 children. The oldest 10 and youngest 2.

I think Thomas Pettit who dies in 1879 at Sudbury, aged 35, could be her father, but I can't confirm.

I can't locate a suitable marriage either. I did find a marriage in the right time frame in Shoreditch, but nothing to confirm.

Help please!!:confused:

Merry
22-04-18, 14:10
Here's her birth reg:

PETTIT, LILLIE mmn HOLGATE

GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in ONGAR Volume 04A Page 163

which matches with this marriage:

Marriages Dec 1867
HOLGATE Elizabeth Ongar 4a 151
Pettit William Ongar 4a 151

So you should be able to pick up his details from the 1871 census.

kiterunner
22-04-18, 14:11
Julie, don't forget the new online GRO birth index will give her MMN:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Lilllie Pettit Apr-Jun 1876 Ongar, MMN Holgate.

And there is a William Pettit / Elizabeth Holgate marriage Oct-Dec 1867 Ongar district,on FreeBMD.

Edit - snap, Merry!

Merry
22-04-18, 14:13
William and Elizabeth are together with their dau Emma in 1871 (Emma is on the 1881 census with Eliz too). William is 25, b Moreton, a blacksmith.

Merry
22-04-18, 14:15
Deaths Sep 1877
PETTIT William 31 Ongar 4a 79

tenterfieldjulie
23-04-18, 02:05
Many thanks Kate and Merry you have got my mind working agin .. I am very rusty and back going to bed between midnight and 3 am and no housework ... really loving it !!

I haven't been able to look at the Seax images Kate, but many thanks for the information you found. When I have some time I will buy a short sub and have a rummage.

I am finding Essex an interesting place to research and co-incidentally, for the first time, I drove from Norfolk across to Bury St Edmonds intending to go to Colchester, but the rain drove me across to safe harbour at Harpenden. If I am fortunate to come back to UK, it is on my bucket list to visit.

With the Pettitt family, I believe William's parents are William, who married Lucy Shelly in 1842 at Witham. (Love the name Shelly). Then John Pettitt married Hannah Newman on Boxing Day at Sible Hedingham (what a gorgeous name, but how do you pronounce it!!). It appears that the Pettitt's had crossed the border from Suffolk ,as the marriage says he was from Edwardstone in Suffolk.

I haven't as yet followed female Pettitt lines, but followed William Boram's wife Susannah Whitbread, whose parents were Thomas married Ann Aley at Laver Alta in 1835. (Another fascinating place name to explore..)

With your help, I have gone back to James Boreham who married Jane Pavit in 1804 at Moreton. On the marriage it says he is 34 of Moreton so born C1770. I have looked at the baptism OPC records and they are supposed to be from 1558 to 1868, but there is a big gap in the Boreham names between 1620-1803. Ofcourse where he was living in 1804, may not mean he was baptised there in C1770. Any thoughts please? Julie

Merry
23-04-18, 06:18
There are quite a few trees on Ancestry with this James and Jane of the 1804 marriage included. They have at least three different couples as James' parents! Quite a few trees have bumped James off in 1838 in Witham district. I looked at that death reg to see what age was given for him, but it clearly isn't the right person as the age is 11 :rolleyes:

Merry
23-04-18, 07:13
I should think this is Jane Pavit.

BORAM, JANE 82
GRO Reference: 1845 S Quarter in ONGAR Volume 12 Page 111

tenterfieldjulie
23-04-18, 08:43
Thanks Merry. I would think that was definitely Jane's death as she was in the 1841 Census widow born C1770.

I made a few notes with what I found in the Census on Ancestry and the surnames are very varied. I think I need to trawl through the Census for Moreton and see if I can unravel them more.

This is what I noted - hope it is accurate.

In the 1841 Census at Moreton. Boreham
James 20 sawyer born C1821
(I know the ages are rounded, but at the time I think I thought he should be older!!).
Jane 70 widower born C1771
Henry 15 unm born C1826

1851 Census Berham
James 39 sawyer
Eliza 39
William 13

living either side appear to be her family
James White 73 carpenter
Sarah 75
and
James White Prentice 45 sawyer (so might be another child born pre marriage) Might be a thing with carpenters!!

1861 Census Bourham I read - transcribed Boarham

1871Census Boreham
James 58 carpenter
his son William 33 carpenter are living next to each other.

1881 Census

William 43 carpenter (now living between the Nags Head and the School - great location)

James 71 carpenter & Eliza 71

1891 Census

William Boram 53 carpenter
Susannah 52
Frederick 23 grocer's assistant
Walter 20
Ernest 16

James Borham age 75 retired labourer living with his son in law George Knight shoemaker and daughter Mary .. I need to check and see if Mary Borham married a Radley who died and then George Knight to confirm

tenterfieldjulie
23-04-18, 09:04
The 1891 Census has the correct James as his daughter Mary Ann Borham married first William Radley in 1862, who died in 1870 and she married George Knight in 1873.

So James Borham's age might be erratic, but he is the right man lol .. I think he died in 1893 at Ongar. He of course is the 2nd James, the one who married Eliza White, not the James who married Jane Pavitt/Pavet.

I found a death of Elizabeth Boram at Epping (which covers Ongar) in 1890 aged 85. I think she could be James 2s wife? Maybe the person who registered her death wasn't sure of her name ... calling her Mum/Grandma and guessed her age? I have some strange registrations by son in law .. In Australia question - Number of children? .. none!! Can anyone see something I am missing?

kiterunner
23-04-18, 11:49
Eliza Boream death Apr-Jun 1889 Ongar, age 76.

tenterfieldjulie
23-04-18, 23:36
Thanks for finding her Kate. I thought I had posted but obviously not. That surname has so many variants and mistranscriptions!! Originally de Boreham. It is not a name I knew before.
Thanks for the info on the birth reg including the mother's name. I have only used freebdm, so I must register for the gro as I want to buy some death certs for Cornwall.