PDA

View Full Version : Cornwall OPC

ElizabethHerts
07-03-18, 17:30
Just a note to say I am in awe of the work that goes on by the Cornwall OPC team. I'm privileged to be a member of the team, but I am so impressed by the commitment and hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

So if you have Cornish ancestors, just keep an eye on the Cornwall OPC site because more and more is appearing. The transcribing never stops!

kiterunner
07-03-18, 17:33
Does Cornwall OPC have an agreement with FamilySearch to use the online images for indexing, Elizabeth?

kiterunner
07-03-18, 18:19
No, I just wondered because I was told a few years ago that FamilySearch supplied images of BT's from other counties to FreeREG with the agreement that FreeREG had to let FamilySearch use their transcriptions of those BT's, so I was wondering whether OPC's had the same system.

HarrysMum
07-03-18, 18:21
Many years ago I got a lot of help from Cornwall OPC. I must revisit my family from there. There is probably a lot more available.

I'd love to find more on my ggg grandfather, Simeon Ruby. Sounds like a wonderful pirate name to me. :)

Nell
07-03-18, 19:37
Susan Olds, from Cornwall OPC sent me 4 detailed pages about my Cornish ancestry when I first started this malarky. All I'd given her was the name of my great-grandmother!

Olde Crone
07-03-18, 21:30
As an aside, Cornwall Records Office will close this September to prepare for its move to the new location in Redruth in 2019. Not before time, the present Elliott hut is about to fall down. The site has been sold to a developer for "executive homes" which translates to overpriced tickytacky boxes which locals will never be able to afford. Shame on you, Cornwall County Council, you could have used the site to build homes for local people!

Sorry, rant over.

OC

ElizabethHerts
07-03-18, 21:51
Let's hope the hut doesn't fall down on Julie and me next week whilst we are doing our research! I agree, OC, it isn't fit for purpose. Such a shame they won't be providing affordable housing for local people. I know just how hard it is for the locals in Cornwall (and Devon) to afford decent housing.

Olde Crone
07-03-18, 22:10
Elizabeth

I used to live almost next door to the Records Office when some of the documents were housed in old County Hall. The Elliott hut was supposed to be a temporary measure!

OC

Kit
08-03-18, 06:14
I haven't researched my Cornwall people for ages but I do love the Cornwall OPC. What they had available was fantastic back then. I look forward to seeing what new information they have when I next return to the family

Joy Dean
13-03-18, 09:56
When my husband was an OPC, he bought the fiches for the parish registers in which he was particularly interested and transcribed them in our library.

ElizabethHerts
22-03-18, 19:38
Please note that the following are gradually being added to the website:

Royal Cornwall Gazette BMD and Inquest transcription project:- over 500 inquest reports, 2200+ birth announcements, 1200+ marriage announcements, and 2800+ death announcements transcribed and uploaded

Inquests are indexed by parish, under burials, and the reports appear on the respective parish page; BMDs are indexed as baptisms/marriages/burials, with the Royal Cornwall Gazette as the parish.

Kit
24-03-18, 01:17
That sounds exciting. I look forward to seeing if my family are there

ElizabethHerts
24-03-18, 05:51
It's an ongoing project, Toni, so it's worth going back to look after a few months.