PDA

View Full Version : Army Regiments

Kit
05-03-18, 23:29
How likely is it that people would change from one regiment to the other?

I'm looking at a husband of a relative and each likely event I can find in the BMD registers, in India, he has a new regiment and rank. Now I'm not against him being promoted, I suspect there is family money to help with advancement but would he change regiments?

The name is William Innes so common enough for there to be more than one person in the army with that name. The name of the first child I can find is a family name though so I cna't decide.

JBee
06-03-18, 10:08
Yes soldiers often changed regiments especially if the one they were in was disbanded or merged with another and a change of Regiment occurred.

What timeframe are you looking at?

In 1850's I have two soldiers with the same name in the same regiment, though haven't found a connection between them.

Kit
08-03-18, 06:10
Thanks JBee. The time period is late 1790s to 1816. There weren't as many changes as I thought. I haven't fully researched the regiment I last know about but it looks like they disbanded during or just after the mutiny in the 1850s.

It doesn't help that they may have returned to England. I can't find deaths or marriages of the family, although it was a quick look.