PDA

View Full Version : Natives of India

Kit
27-02-18, 01:09
Could this mean they were British but born in India or would this term mean they are of Indian descent?

I've seen this a few times recently in marriage records and it is always qualified with the saying "but are Christian"

kiterunner
27-02-18, 09:12
I would love to know the answer, as one of my direct ancestors is "a native of Madras" on her marriage record and I haven't got very far in tracing her line back.

Kit
27-02-18, 10:03
It's not possible to trace the Indian side is it?

Did they keep records back then and more importantly would they have records if the English were involved?

I'd love to put a name to "a heathen woman" but there are others too where I at least have a first name.

Olde Crone
27-02-18, 10:03
I would think it is a racial distinction because of the religious qualification.

OC

Tilly Mint
27-02-18, 13:04
I've been to India many times and will go again in a few weeks. The certs i have say "Anglo Indian" and when I have asked what this means when I have been there I get different answers. There is a big Christian community within Indian peoples.

Kit
28-02-18, 06:31
That is interesting Jacky. Can I ask what answers you have received? I would be interested to know what people in India have to say.

I thought Anglo Indian meant mixed parentage or half-caste - British and Indian parents. I believe there is a stigma about the term which might account for differing answers.

OC I thought the same as you although I would like the answer to be the opposite.

Tilly Mint
28-02-18, 13:21
Hiya Kit, I have been told they have an Indian parent, also this term was only used prior to the 1947 when India got independence from the British Raj. I am also told this term was used when a British child was just born there.

Like Kite, I am finding it hard to find any background on my G Grandmother who on her marriage cert says she is Anglo Indian.