PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else struggling with Ancestry?

Anstey Nomad
19-02-18, 12:29
The search function seems to have lost the plot completely. I am finding that I either get 'no good matches' even when I know the information I have given is accurate, or I get thousands of irrelevant results. If I tick the 'exact' box that just makes things a whole lot worse.

I thought it was a glitch, but it's been going on for over a week now. Is it them, or me?

kiterunner
19-02-18, 13:10
I haven't noticed anything changing recently, AN.

Merry
19-02-18, 15:26
All normal for me. I always use exact match and then wild cards.

Perhaps you could give an example?

Mary from Italy
19-02-18, 21:01
Have you accidentally unticked "match all terms exactly"?

Anstey Nomad
20-02-18, 10:26
I did , yes, because it told me to! However, its still telling me I have too many 'exact' boxes ticked, when I have none ticked.

Merry
20-02-18, 11:19
What happens if you re-tick "Match all terms exactly"?

Kit
20-02-18, 19:09
I've been having trouble with ancestry for a while. I hadn't done much research but have been for the last couple of months. I'm finding it hard to find things, even records I've found before.

I'm finding FMP easier than ancestry and I hate FMP's search facility, although they have better transcriptions.

Katarzyna
20-02-18, 22:09
I did , yes, because it told me to! However, its still telling me I have too many 'exact' boxes ticked, when I have none ticked.

I am having the same problem - it's been happening for about a couple of weeks or so and it's very frustrating.
btw anybody know if the "old search" is still available? I used to fair much better on that. It's been a few years I know but used to be able to switch between the two ways. Did they take that away?

kiterunner
20-02-18, 22:46
No, the "old search" is gone.

Janet
21-02-18, 00:31
I'm just thinking that they presumably would have the capability of providing one search experience to one segment of users, and another one to another segment, in order to make test comparisons--in the same way that marketers offer different variations of their wares to different consumer segments in order to test new products. I might be off the wall, but I wonder if something like that is going on here.