PDA

View Full Version : Contacting relations

Phoenix
11-01-18, 17:21
I have found, on FB, relations of an elderly friend. I foolishly told him I'd try to make contact.

This suddenly seems fraught with problems. He is old and dying. They are young men in their twenties. His split with their grandmother appears to have been acrimonious.

I can envisage some very nasty outcomes.

Can anyone suggest a form of words I can use? It would probably be more appropriate to contact their mother, but I can't spot her.

Olde Crone
11-01-18, 17:54
Dear Young Man

I am writing on behalf of my friend Mr Blogs who is I believe your mother's father. Would she be willing to receive a message from him through me? This could be done to a gmail address if she would prefer that.

Phoenix - what does your friend hope to achieve? Are you willing and able to act as intermediary?

OC

Kit
11-01-18, 21:49
Is this the same friend you have mentioned before? Didn't he want contact with the grandchildren?

Kit
11-01-18, 22:15
Just checked, it is the grandchildren he wants.

I would say something along the lines of:

Dear ____, I am a friend of ______, who I believe is your grandfather. He lost touch with his daughters X and Y after the divorce from their mother. He has regrets and would like to meet his grandchildren. Would you be willing to make contact with him?

There is the issue with FB messages that it might go to their "other" inbox as you are not their FB friends and so they wont see it. You can also use that excuse if they reply but are nasty.