PDA

View Full Version : Who were the two Watkin Jones?

BlueSavannah
07-01-18, 13:02
Hello All,

A while since I've posted. I am still looking for a breakthrough with my Gx4 Grandfather William Jones born circa 1796. His bio link below.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11310&highlight=william+jones

Someone on the Sheffield Indexers forum pointed out that there was a baptism at the Sheffield Cathedral (St Peter & Paul) in 1800 of a Watkin Young William Jones who was the son of Watkin Robert Jones and his wife Ann Chadwick. It actually gave a date of birth for the child as Jan 31st 1796. They baptised another child at the same time called Charles Jones. The father's occupation interesting read as 'Ensign in the Army'.

The marriage of Watkin Robert Jones & Ann Chadwick took place at Sheffield Cathedral, by licence, on the 13th April 1795. Bachelor/Spinster, both of the parish. Married in the presence of Jane Chadwick & George Bower. There is an entry for the licence of this marriage on the indexes via FMP with a link to order it. It confirmed Watkin Robert Jones was aged 30 and was in the HM Forces. Ann Chadwick was 26. Are these licences worth buying? Does they give any other info?

The problem I have is that I cannot find any other reference of either Watkin Robert or Watkin Young William Jones after this marriage and the baptisms. I know its a long shot to think this could be my William Jones who has dropped the William Young part of his name by the time he married in 1822. But I cannot find anything at all of either Watkin to rule them out?

Would anyone like to take a look to see if can find anything at all that I might have missed? Any help is much appreciated.

Claire

kiterunner
07-01-18, 14:22
The licence might give the name of a relative of Ann's but might well not. Probably not going to give much other information that you haven't already got. I don't know how much you would have to pay for it, so can't say whether it would be worth it.

kiterunner
07-01-18, 14:27
The FMP British Army Service Records have a record for a Watkin Jones born 1766, date of record 1802, and another Watkin Jones record dated 1806-7 which may or may not be the same person. I haven't got an FMP sub at the moment so can't see what they say.

kiterunner
07-01-18, 14:45
Found this on Google, but not sure whether it's the same person as the one who married Ann Chadwick:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zV9HAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA187&lpg=PA187&dq=%22watkin+robert+jones%22&source=bl&ots=1ww3Z4s-3L&sig=ENBlQV932n3Sd5q99VIxhWseVQg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHxqeumMbYAhXEJMAKHQHqBWoQ6AEIKTAB#v=on epage&q=%22watkin%20robert%20jones%22&f=false

Judge Advocate General's Office, 16 Feb 1805.
...the proceedings of a General Court Martial, held at Plymouth Dock, on the 2d of last month, and subsequent days, for the trial of Lieutenant Watkin Robert Jones, of the Royal Montgomeryshire Regiment of Militia...
And ... he, the said Lieutenant Robert Watkin Jones, is declared to be Not Guilty...
N.B. Lieutenant Jones continued in the regiment until 1807.

BlueSavannah
07-01-18, 15:06
Thank you for taking a look Kate. Those records on FMP don't give any information that would say if he is or isnt the same Watkin Robert who married in Sheffield. The Google book link is interesting. That very much could be him.