PDA

View Full Version : Search all local UK BMD sites at once

kiterunner
10-12-17, 18:48
I've never seen this before! Did everyone else know about it?

http://www.ukbmdsearch.org.uk/

Should save a lot of time when you're not sure which county you want.

It only includes those local BMD sites which use the UK BMD software, so some are excluded, such as Kent and Sunderland, but I couldn't fit that in the thread title.

Janet
10-12-17, 21:30
A major advance! No, I for one had never seen this. Thanks so much, Kite.

Durham Lady
10-12-17, 22:18
Sunderland had something similar for a while but there were complaints about such up to date records being available and it was closed down. I found it very useful while it was online.

Merry
11-12-17, 05:58
No, I've not seen that before. Thanks, it should be very useful. Did you come across it by chance?

kiterunner
11-12-17, 08:29
Yes, I was looking on the UK BMD site trying to figure out which local site I needed for a certain district, when I spotted it.

JayG
11-12-17, 12:35
Sunderland had something similar for a while but there were complaints about such up to date records being available and it was closed down. I found it very useful while it was online.

It's still online here https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/article/12356/Copies-of-birth-death-and-marriage-certificates

I think it was an IT problem rather than complaints about up to date info being available.

Olde Crone
11-12-17, 12:51
I think I must have seen this and subconsciously dismissed it, thinking "if I want to search the whole of the UK, I will use freebmd".

OC

kiterunner
11-12-17, 13:52
Yes, I would use FreeBMD first, OC, but it's when you've found a record on FreeBMD and you want to know which church or register office a marriage took place at, or check who married whom, for instance - sometimes it can take a while to figure out which local BMD site to look at for the particular district, whereas using this link, you don't need to bother about that.

Olde Crone
11-12-17, 14:50
Yes, I hadn't got that far! It may have dawned eventually or it may have needed this thread.

OC

Mary from Italy
11-12-17, 15:02
It's been there for ages as far as I remember, but I haven't used it much.

maggie_4_7
12-12-17, 13:01
Thank you. I never knew about this.

Edit to say: very handy especially when it says register office, the amount of times I have looked for a church entry only to realise some time later it was a register office wedding!

WendyPusey
13-12-17, 05:22
I’ve used it a few times though never really found much.

Kit
16-12-17, 01:26
It's been around for ages but I think originally it just took you to the local county site. This is a great improvement.

kiterunner
18-04-18, 15:38
I'm adding this to this thread if only because I can't even think of a snappy summary for a thread title!

Just seen this on Bath BMD's website, and it applies to at least some of the other local BMD sites too, as I've just tried it out on Lancashire BMD:

Births searches have now been updated to allow you to search by mother's maiden name only.

Unfortunately, they haven't updated the multi-region search page (yet) to do the same, so you'll have to try each local BMD site separately. Here is the link to the list of local sites:

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

Of course, not all MMN's have actually been indexed on all sites yet.