PDA

View Full Version : Recent deaths

ElizabethHerts
02-12-17, 13:12
Is there any way I can find out if someone has died in the past year?
I have a feeling of great foreboding about a friend.

anne fraser
02-12-17, 13:52
Not a nice way to find out but have you tried googling her name plus address? It will often bring up an obituary. I do hope you are wrong though.

ElizabethHerts
02-12-17, 14:07
Yes, I have, Anne. I sent my friend an e-mail as I haven't been able to contact her by phone. The e-mail has come back as undeliverable.

vita
02-12-17, 14:19
I found one recently by searching the newspaper in my friend's local area. Sometimes the

word 'obituary' succeeds in a Google search after name, too.

Michael
02-12-17, 15:08
My mum asked me to do this for some old friends of hers who hadn't replied to Christmas cards. One I did find an obituary for, another was confirmed as alive in the last few months (listed as in attendance in the minutes of a local council meeting), and the third I failed to find anything either way. If it's a common name you can try Googling with a place name, assuming you know one.

kiterunner
02-12-17, 15:55
You can also try searching the probate index.
https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

ElizabethHerts
02-12-17, 16:30
I have searched the Probate Index with no results. However, I did find the probate for her mother who died last year.

Durham Lady
02-12-17, 16:58
Have you tried the BT white Pages? https://www.thephonebook.bt.com Possible her number has changed.

Anstey Nomad
06-12-17, 10:58
Are you near any of these places, which have the complete indexes on microfiche for you to search without charge?

Library of Birmingham
Bridgend Local and Family History Centre
City of Westminster Archives Centre
Manchester Central Library
Newcastle City Library
Plymouth Central Library
The British Library (you’ll need to register first)

ElizabethHerts
06-12-17, 11:03
I have sent a Christmas card to her and I have attached an address label sticker so that the family can contact me if need be. Another friend is also doing the same.

Fingers crossed!

Anstey Nomad
06-12-17, 11:14
Wishing for a good reply Elizabeth.

Uncle John
15-12-17, 16:14
I have my regular Christmas list of ex-colleagues. One (unmarried) I found had died when another ex-colleague updated me nearly a year later. For another, I received a letter from his widow a few months later explaining that he had died the previous summer.

ElizabethHerts
15-12-17, 16:33
I had a Christmas card from my friend and we will meet up in the New Year. :)

JBee
15-12-17, 19:01
I have several people I send cards to - complete with address label on back - but still not sure if they are still alive or have moved.

Was looking today on an electoral roll for one couple and the last mention was 2010 and the other 2014 but they could have just taken their names off the public list.

James18
15-12-17, 20:11
I was searching for an old friend of mine online a couple of months ago and found his father's obituary on an announcements website. He was only 62 :(

Janet
17-12-17, 03:41

What great news, Elizabeth! You'll both be looking forward to that.

Anstey Nomad
17-12-17, 21:09
Result! Really pleased for you.

ElizabethHerts
17-12-17, 22:10
Thanks, Janet and AN. I'm very relieved. She had been very ill.

Uncle John
19-12-17, 20:45
I was relieved to receive a Christmas card from a very elderly and fairly distant cousin, who had been off visiting family graves and other haunts last summer.

Kit
19-12-17, 22:43

Thanks, Janet and AN. I'm very relieved. She had been very ill.

Glad you have made contact. Her illness explains why she went quiet. Enjoy your meeting. xxx

When we bought this house the previous owners failed to tell a great many people. We received cards for about 6 years from some people. We had no forwarding address so could not do anything with the cards.

I did get a letter about an overdue layby from my local shopping centre. I did contact them and say the people had moved. I think they were going to cancel the layby, which also correlates to when the cards ceased ...