PDA

View Full Version : Marriage confusion

Lindsay
23-11-17, 18:00
I'm puzzled by the results I'm getting for this marriage...

Familysearch have a marriage for Philip Stambury/Stanbury and Mary Martyn, 1717 Devon. The image is only viewable at a family history centre but it says 'courtesy of FindMyPast'. I can't find any trace of it on FMP.

There's also no trace of it on Ancestry via a normal Ancestry search, but if I google the two names I get to the Ancestry Historical Person search (whatever that is) which has this:
'Born in Bratton Clovelly on 10 Jun 1683 to Benjamin Stambury and Mary Caddy. Philip married Mary Martyn and had 2 children. He passed away on 22 Jan 1753 in Stowford. '

It reads like info scraped from family trees, but the only trees which seem to have the marriage are private. Has anyone else come across the Ancestry Historical Person search?

And does anyone know why Familysearch mention FMP if FMP (apparently) don't have it?

Merry
23-11-17, 18:28
I don't know if this link will work:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS/DEV/100770277/00172&parentid=GBPRS/DEV2/MAR/107864/2

If not, search for Mary Martyn 1716 (not 1717) and you should get it on FMP. Well, I'm assuming the grooms name was picked up from a different version as the writing is easy to read but isn't Stanbury!

kiterunner
23-11-17, 18:36
Has anyone else come across the Ancestry Historical Person search?

I have come across it before, from googling for names, and it seems to include family trees which are no longer on ancestry.

Merry
23-11-17, 18:37
Or, it's not the right entry!

kiterunner
23-11-17, 18:45
I was just going to ask you whether you were sure, Merry. I haven't got an FMP sub so I couldn't use your link, but I looked up the film number on FamilySearch and it said parish Stowford, but FMP doesn't seem to have Stowford marriages for 1717 indexed, at least not in the "Devon Marriages".

kiterunner
23-11-17, 18:52
GENUKI has a link to the Online Parish Clerk for Stowford and says that he "invites queries and lookup requests":
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Stowford

Warning - if you click on the person's name, it opens Microsoft Outlook, or at least it did on my computer. So if you don't want that to happen, right-click on the name instead, and you should get an option of "copy email address". (I don't mean my link above, but the link to the OPC's name on the page that my link takes you to.)

Lindsay
23-11-17, 18:54
The marriage Merry found is Ashburton, and there's at least one other Scadgell marriage there so it looks like that's the name.

I wonder if that's the same marriage that Familysearch have - if so their transcription is a bit squiffy.

That's interesting about the old family trees, Kite. It seems you can never really leave Ancestry...

kiterunner
23-11-17, 18:57
It shouldn't be Ashburton, because as I said, I followed the "Digital Folder Number" / Film Number which Family Search gave for the marriage and it said the parish was Stowford.

Lindsay
23-11-17, 19:01
GENUKI has a link to the Online Parish Clerk for Stowford and says that he "invites queries and lookup requests":
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Stowford

Warning - if you click on the person's name, it opens Microsoft Outlook, or at least it did on my computer. So if you don't want that to happen, right-click on the name instead, and you should get an option of "copy email address". (I don't mean my link above, but the link to the OPC's name on the page that my link takes you to.)

Thanks for that. Stowford marriages are on FMP and I can't see Philip and Mary's marriage there, so I suspect they married elsewhere (in spite of Familysearch's film number). I might try contacting the OPC though, in case they have access to extra information.

The 1716 marriage is definitely Ashburton on FMP!

kiterunner
23-11-17, 19:09
But Merry said the Ashburton marriage was the wrong one.

Lindsay
23-11-17, 19:12
Whoops, you're right, FMP don't have 1717 marriages for Stowford. Definitely one for the OPC!

Thanks for the help.