PDA

View Full Version : Aussie help needed please - schooner Ulidia

scuda
13-11-17, 16:18
I am hunting for a photo of the British schooner Ulidia, which was wrecked off Freemantle in 1893. There is an almost impossibly black photo of the wreck in a newspaper on Trove, but I have discovered that there should be a photo from earlier that year in the book "Unfinished voyages : Western Australian shipwrecks, 1881-1900" by Lynne Cairns & Graeme Henderson.

Is anyone in Oz able to view this book at a library and get a copy of the picture (plus any associated info) please?

I'd really appreciate any help finding this or any other picture of Ulidia,

scuda

Durham Lady
13-11-17, 18:54
Some info here
http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/maritime-archaeology-db/wrecks/ulidia

and photos here.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=Schooner+Ulidia&rlz=1C1DSGP_enGB479GB479&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBmLHMqbzXAhWBAcAKHbaLCWcQsAQILg&biw=1540&bih=720

scuda
13-11-17, 19:02
Thanks for looking Durham Lady, but the pictures are of a yacht, not a schooner. And I'd done lots of googling before posting my request, so I've found information as in your link, especially on diving sites, but no picture.

Thanks anyway, scuda

marquette
13-11-17, 19:30
Several libraries appear to hold copies of this book. One is my State Library of NSW and another the National Maritime Museum Library which is also in Sydney. It may be a few weeks before I can get into the city to go to the State Library, but I will endeavour to do so.

The NMM Library is very helpful, but not staffed fulltime. If you email them they may be able to help, but the website says they were not taking enquiries but things might have changed.

If not, I am happy to go into the State Library for you

Di

scuda
14-11-17, 07:30
I'll try emailing the NMM Library and let you know what response I get. Thanks Di.

svuda

Janet
14-11-17, 23:59
A snippet view in Google Books includes the index page showing Ulidia on pages 214, 215, 216, 217 and 221.
Volume 3 of Unfinished Voyages: Western Australian Shipwrecks, Unfinished Voyages: Western Australian Shipwrecks (https://books.google.com/books?id=YP9_AAAAMAAJ&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=Ulidia)
On page 216 is a caption reading "This view of the wreck of the Ulidia shows the remains of deck beams in the stern section of the vessel. (WA Maritime Museum, MA 4266/25, photographer Mike McCarthy)". I could be wrong about the slash mark in that number. It's quite fuzzy.

I wonder if that Mike McCarthy is the same as the Curator listed here
Western Australian Museum › Collections And Research › Departments › Maritime Archaeology › Maritime Archaeology - curators and contacts (http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/departments/maritime-archaeology/maritime-archaeology-curators-and-contacts)
in which case you might try going straight to the source. There is an email address listed on that page.

Failing that, a search on worldcat.org returns the below list of 30 libraries holding the book, one of which might be near you. Otherwise, the HathiTrust has it online. [EDIT: Oops, no, I see now it says this book is not available online for copyright reasons, but still you might be able to play around with the snippet view.]
7 Results for Ulidia (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=mdp.39015037325704;view=1up;seq=7;q1=Uli dia;start=1;sz=10;page=search;orient=0)
From that page, click "Login" and you will see a list of HathiTrust partner institutions through which you might be able to gain access if you are affiliated in some way.

Cleveland Public Library
Main Library
Cleveland, OH 44114 United States

University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 United States

HathiTrust Digital Library
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 United States

University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 United States

New York Public Library System
NYPL
New York, NY 10018 United States

Michigan State University Libraries
Main Library
East Lansing, MI 48824 United States

Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20540 United States

HCL Technical Services
Harvard College Library
Cambridge, MA 02139 United States

Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208 United States

University of Georgia
University of Georgia, Main Library
Athens, GA 30602 United States

Florida State University
University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL 32306 United States

University of South Florida
USF Library
Tampa, FL 33620 United States

UC Berkeley Libraries
Berkeley, CA 94720 United States

University of California, NRLF
Northern Regional Library Facility
Richmond, CA 94804 United States

University of Southern California
USC Libraries
Los Angeles, CA 90089 United States

The British Library, St. Pancras
London, NW1 2DB United Kingdom

Universitatsbibliothek Johann Christian Senckenberg, Zentralbibliothek
Frankfurt/Main, 60325 Germany

Auckland Libraries
Auckland, 1010 New Zealand

Brisbane City Council Library Services
BCC
Brisbane, AU-QL 4000 Australia

James Cook University of N Queensland
Townsville, QLD 4811 Australia

State Library of Queensland
SLQ, QSL
Brisbane, AU-QL 4101 Australia

Northern Territory Library
Darwin, AU-NT 0801 Australia

Australian National Maritime Museum
Vaughan Evans Library
Pyrmont, AU-NS 2009 Australia

Burwood Council
Burwood Library
Burwood, NSW 2134 Australia

Ryde City Council
Ryde Library
North Ryde, NSW 1670 Australia

State Library of NSW
Sydney, AU-NS 2000 Australia

University of Sydney Library
Sydney, AU-NS 2006 Australia

Waverley Council
Waverley Library
Bondi Junction, NSW 2022 Australia

National Library of Australia
Canberra, ACT 2600 Australia

Parliamentary Library
Canberra, 2600 Australia

HarrysMum
15-11-17, 04:33
I'm a member of Brisbane Library. I'll take a look later when I'm on my laptop.

scuda
15-11-17, 06:43
Thanks everyone. However, my email to the NMM Library has worked, and I now have the photo and info pages. The downside is that the photo is a not very clear underwater shot of the wreck, so not what I was hoping for.

Thanks for trying.

scuda