PDA

View Full Version : Explore the Archive week

chiddicks
09-11-17, 20:17
With explore your archive week almost here, is it time to look at utilising this wonderful resource more before its too late and falls victim to government cut backs

"Use it or Lose it" https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.com/2017/11/08/use-it-or-lose-it/

Kit
09-11-17, 22:34
I wish I could use it.

Distance is my issue but I truly wish I could access the UK archives in person

Jenoco
09-11-17, 23:16
I wish I could use it.

Distance is my issue but I truly wish I could access the UK archives in person

Me too, Toni :(

ElizabethHerts
10-11-17, 07:52
I do use the archives. I have visited the archives in Sussex, Cornwall and Buckinghamshire this year, and also have visited Hampshire, Hertfordshire, Lincolnshire, Berkshire and Cambridgeshire archives not so long ago. There are probably others I have visited too.

Olde Crone
10-11-17, 10:25
I use mine too but nothing like as much as I used to, mostly because the county archives has only reduced opening times. Much of my research is out of county and it would be a 700 mile round trip to one and a 2000 mile round trip to another! I would love it if ALL archive material was visible on line. The very act of digitising would, I am sure, turn up a lot of mis-catalogued stuff!

OC

Kit
10-11-17, 22:27
I use mine too but nothing like as much as I used to, mostly because the county archives has only reduced opening times. Much of my research is out of county and it would be a 700 mile round trip to one and a 2000 mile round trip to another! I would love it if ALL archive material was visible on line. The very act of digitising would, I am sure, turn up a lot of mis-catalogued stuff!

OC

No easy day trips for you either.

I'd love everything to be digitised too. It would preserve documents forever besides being easy for people out of area to access.

I can see that totally digitising may be an issue for keeping the offices open. I do hope that the records offices get paid well for allowing things to be digitised