PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful baptismal entries

ElizabethHerts
29-10-17, 20:38
I have been immensely enjoying the Portsmouth area parish registers now available on FMP.

There have been some very detailled entries. I like this one:
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=s2%2fgbprs%2fportsmouth%2f008061858%2f00 085

1750 Mar 14 William the son of Joseph Padwick by Mary his wife baptized at home, the weather was so extremely windy & wet it was dangerous to take the child to church this is mentioned that it may not hereafter be brought for a precedent

Jill
30-10-17, 06:03
I love these "extras", though I've yet to find one about my own family there was a snidey one about my OH's ancestor's burial (nor Portsmouth though) noting that his parents hadn't been married when he was born -he was in his 70s - so had been buried under the "wrong" surname.

kiterunner
30-10-17, 08:24
I'm tracing my German ancestors at the moment, and there is so much information in the typical German baptism record - date and exact time of birth, how many previous children the parents had, father's occupation, mother's maiden name, godparents.

Lindsay
30-10-17, 08:26
there was a snidey one about my OH's ancestor's burial (nor Portsmouth though) noting that his parents hadn't been married when he was born -he was in his 70s - so had been buried under the "wrong" surname.

That poor man, the circumstances of his birth must have followed him all his life.

I found one for OH's gg grandmother who had already had 2 illegitimate children when she married. On the baptism of her third child the vicar noted that she had married only a week before the birth, and pointedly didn't put the father's name down although the child was known by his surname.

Some vicars come across as gossipy old wotsits. I can just imagine them pursing their lips and tutting at their parishioners' mistakes.

Phoenix
30-10-17, 10:04
I can still remember some of the burial entries I found over 30 years ago, including this for Caroline Hayles:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=s2%2fgbprs%2fportsmouth%2f007567272%2f00 432&parentid=gbprs%2fportsmouth%2fbur%2f00005676&highlights=%22%22

Olde Crone
30-10-17, 11:22
I too have an elderly gent buried as "illegitimate". Scottish death certs are particularly keen to point out that people were born illegitimate. I can only suppose this is for legal purposes.

OC

Katarzyna
30-10-17, 12:35
In the place of father on my 3 x great grandmother's marriage cert it says "the illegitimate daughter of Rosa....
Probably came as a shock to her new parents in law had they not known :(

Nell
02-11-17, 16:49
My great-grandmother was illegitimate and her marriage cert states "illegitimate daughter of..." and her mother's name. I was pleased that for once the mother got the credit!

I was looking through a Cornish parish register once and there were some notes about the planting of trees in the churchyard. I'm sure the clerk recording it had no idea it would be read over a century later.

Mary from Italy
02-11-17, 20:15
I cam across a burial entry once where the vicar described the deceased as a nasty argumentative old man (or words to that effect) who hadn't set foot in the church for 40 years.

Olde Crone
02-11-17, 21:08
One of my ancestors was buried with the marginal note that he was a very tall man! In fact, that branch of the family were still very tall some 200 years later.

OC

Merry
02-11-17, 21:17
One of my ancestors was buried with the marginal note that he was a very fat man!

Luckily, I haven't inherited his fat gene!!

Elderflower
04-11-17, 15:26
Back in 2003 I had the film for Ringwood Burials on loan from the LDS. I smiled at the entry for 4/2/1740 which was "Old Puss. Alas". I just had to make a note of it.

Pat

Terri
05-11-17, 08:41
And the prize for the most useful Baptismal Record goes to the vicar of Moreton Essex in 1803:
Birth of Martha Fletcher Noakes:
About Father:
Daughter of William Noak of Bullmans, carpenter, son of James Noaks here before of ye Leathern Bottle in parish of Little Laver by Susannah, his wife, daughter of Meredith.
About Mother:
By Sarah, wife, daughter of James Edich of this parish, farmer, by Sarah his wife, daughter of Fletcher, here before of Matching, labourer.

vita
05-11-17, 13:24
And the prize for the most useful Baptismal Record goes to the vicar of Moreton Essex in 1803:
Birth of Martha Fletcher Noakes:
About Father:
Daughter of William Noak of Bullmans, carpenter, son of James Noaks here before of ye Leathern Bottle in parish of Little Laver by Susannah, his wife, daughter of Meredith.
About Mother:
By Sarah, wife, daughter of James Edich of this parish, farmer, by Sarah his wife, daughter of Fletcher, here before of Matching, labourer.

Wish they were all like that,Terri.

Olde Crone
05-11-17, 14:42
Pooh, that's nothing! The Merovingian church (chapel?) a few of my ancestors attended has all that and more, including death entries against the baptism entries and marriage details also.

The Pole Lane Chapel census taken in 1821 in Darwen lists all the chapel members in family groups with BMD details. An absolute gem. Lancashire seemed to be good at these sort of detailed records.

OC

vita
05-11-17, 15:07
So envious. I count myself lucky to have brief physical descriptions of two ancestors.

One is described as perspiring a lot under pressure(!) and the other of "looking like a

ghost" when serving a warrant on an M.P. known for his violent behaviour.

Kit
09-11-17, 04:32
Lancashire seemed to be good at these sort of detailed records.

I wish. OH's Lancashire lot are very hit and miss in parish registers and if it is a hit there is only the barest of detail.