PDA

View Full Version : Family tree for a 6 year old?

Lindsay
26-10-17, 17:44
Advice wanted!

My OH's niece has contacted me as her son wants to do a family tree. She's asked if I could send some bits (unspecified) to help.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should provide to appeal to a 6 year old? I don't want to scare him off!

ElizabethHerts
26-10-17, 18:15
Lindsay, how lovely that the little boy is interested. Perhaps he has been prompted by school.

I'd go back just a few generations and include photos and try to relate the important dates to what was happening in the world. You could show him examples of certificates and explain why they are needed.

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions too.

Olde Crone
26-10-17, 18:15
A very simple tree with basic bmds and perhaps a line or two of "interesting" text, lol. My 6 year old grandson was very taken with the idea that some of his ancestors lived in Victorian times and wanted to know what they wore!

Oh, some photographs!

OC

Margaret in Burton
26-10-17, 18:36
My daughter was a bit older than 6 when her class was asked to do this. She said most people took in a scruffy A4 piece of paper that invariably said gran,grandad etc with no names and she took a roll of wallpaper. :D:D

Also, my sisters grandson had to do this recently and she had to explain to him that his grandad was in fact his step grandad. Her first hubby having nothing to do with his daughters.

He took it well, he’s 11. Said he didn’t know but grandad was still grandad

Lindsay
27-10-17, 08:30
[QUOTE=Also, my sisters grandson had to do this recently and she had to explain to him that his grandad was in fact his step grandad. Her first hubby having nothing to do with his daughters.

He took it well, he’s 11. Said he didn’t know but grandad was still grandad[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a sensible lad, Margaret!

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I've kept it simple, only gone back a generation from his great-grandfather (who he knew) and included some photos of people in old fashioned clothes.

I must say, it makes a pleasant change for anyone in the family to be interested in the family history!

James18
27-10-17, 15:34
Try to explain the Habsburg family tree.

Margaret in Burton
27-10-17, 16:30
Try to explain the Habsburg family tree.

Try explaining to my hubby and daughters that my dad and two of his sisters married into the same family. My mum and two of her cousins (brothers)
They close their ears and roll their eyes.
First cousins on dad’s side are 2nd cousins on mums side and my uncles by marriage are my first cousins once removed.

JBee
27-10-17, 18:57
Gosh Marg - that is confusing.

I had a skype call from 4 year old grandson late on Sunday night - his US daycare homework was pictures of his parents when they were little lol.

It seems that a basic family tree is required homework for a lot of young children at school these days. So the child, their parents and grandparents are all that is usually needed. However with all the different family groups these days it can get very complicated.

Olde Crone
27-10-17, 20:27
I know I'm an old fashioned fuddy duddy, but what happens about the many children who know nothing about their fathers?

OC

marquette
27-10-17, 21:51
Does he know his cousins ? Should you include them in the family tree, so that he can see how or why they are his cousins?

My kids know all their first cousins and some second.

It was difficult to explain, without a diagram, to my youngest daughter, about her cousin's son, who is only a year younger than her, and they are good friends. (my in-laws are older than me, first cousin was 30 years older than my daughter)

Lindsay
28-10-17, 07:21
Does he know his cousins ? Should you include them in the family tree, so that he can see how or why they are his cousins?

My kids know all their first cousins and some second.

It was difficult to explain, without a diagram, to my youngest daughter, about her cousin's son, who is only a year younger than her, and they are good friends. (my in-laws are older than me, first cousin was 30 years older than my daughter)

It can get very complicated, can't it - my nephew has a niece who's older than him.

Perhaps fortunately, the child who wants to do the tree is the first of his generation so he doesn't have any cousins. Makes it simpler!