PDA

View Full Version : Help with Irish Record

lambonumber5
10-10-17, 13:06
Hi,
I am trying to find the maiden name of my Grandmother. She was born, Margaret McTeague in Enniskillen in December 1921 and I have found her in the Ireland Civil Registrations index (FHL/GS film number 101079 page 44)

As I don't seem to be able to find her mothers maiden name online if I am armed with that index number and take a trip to Ireland, am I likely to find her full entry/ birth certificate or similar if i visit the GRO in Dublin?

Unless anyone else can help me?

Thanks,
Gary

Merry
10-10-17, 13:37
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum!

It would be cheaper to purchase the certificate online:

https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/civil-registration-birth-ireland/158/

Merry
10-10-17, 13:54
I'm presuming she is dec'd? We don't allow the names of living people on this site unless they have given you their permission.

Is she the lady who married in 1945 in Newark District? Do you have the marriage cert for her father's name and occupation?

lambonumber5
11-10-17, 20:31
Yes she is deceased, she married Herbert Henry in 1945 yes. I have a copy of the marriage certificate and will post that info tomorrow as it is eluding me!!

I seemingly can't order the certificate without her mother's maiden name.

Thanks already for the great support

Merry
11-10-17, 20:37
I seemingly can't order the certificate without her mother's maiden name.

Are you sure??!

Merry
11-10-17, 20:46
I just tried placing an order (opted out before the payment stage, obviously!) here:

https://www.gov.uk/general-register-office-for-northern-ireland

For the mother's details they require the mother's surname and forename, but not the mother's maiden name, so I entered 'McTeague' and 'unknown' for the first two boxes and was then able to proceed.

Joy Dean
11-10-17, 20:53
I cannot find her birth in https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Merry
11-10-17, 20:58
Joy - I had thought 1921 was the last year Enniskillen would appear on that site, but apparently not!

Joy Dean
11-10-17, 20:59
I cannot find her birth in https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

How strange, yet I can see her birth registration and marriage registration in ancestry, plus her death registration which gives her date of birth as 20 December 1921.

Merry
11-10-17, 21:03
How strange, yet I can see her birth registration and marriage registration in ancestry, plus her death registration which gives her date of birth as 20 December 1921.

Well the marriage is in England :D, but the Ancestry database for the Irish births does include all of 1921 for Enniskillen and for some reason, one birth for 1922!!

Joy Dean
11-10-17, 21:11
Fun, isn't it, Merry? :)

There is only one McTeague born in 1921 in the 1939 Register and that is a Beatrice.

Presumably Herbert Henry was in Newark, Nottinghamshire in 1939, born 12 April 1920, a Gypsum Brusher Heavy Worker.

lambonumber5
12-10-17, 06:30
Ah the Dublin one, you need mothers maiden name, Belfast one not by the looks of it.... has anyone been able to find her mother's first name... the whole family is drawing blanks!

lambonumber5
12-10-17, 06:47
Fun, isn't it, Merry? :)

There is only one McTeague born in 1921 in the 1939 Register and that is a Beatrice.

Presumably Herbert Henry was in Newark, Nottinghamshire in 1939, born 12 April 1920, a Gypsum Brusher Heavy Worker.

yes that's him.

Merry
12-10-17, 07:11
Ah the Dublin one, you need mothers maiden name, Belfast one not by the looks of it.... has anyone been able to find her mother's first name... the whole family is drawing blanks!

No, but I wouldn't expect to without the birth certificate (in the circumstances set so far).

What's the father's name and occupation?!

lambonumber5
12-10-17, 07:34
Hi Merry, It's Michael John McTeague, he was a labourer later in life not 100% sure in 1921 though.

Merry
12-10-17, 09:51
Hmmm...interesting that there is a Michael John McTeague b in Enniskillen district in 1920. Looks like he died in Shrewsbury district in 1989 - I wonder if he could be a brother of Margaret's?

Also, if you search on this site (under civil records):

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

you can view a marriage cert (pdf) for a Michael McTeague (labourer) and a Sarah Anne Miller who married in Enniskillen in 1918.

All very tempting!

So, you just need to get that 1922 birth cert for Margaret to see that she has the correct father and who her mother was.

Merry
12-10-17, 13:41

Oh, I thought this was her death reg (with the year one adrift):

Margaret Emily Lambert dob 11 Dec 1920 death reg Mar 1970 reg district Grimsby

Only because the middle name matched the birth reg. The other Margaret Lambert (d 1998) has middle name Evelyn (not Emily), but is in Newark district.

Which is the right death, Gary? If it's the Newark one then what middle name did she use when she got married?

lambonumber5
13-10-17, 10:55
Oh, I thought this was her death reg (with the year one adrift):

Margaret Emily Lambert dob 11 Dec 1920 death reg Mar 1970 reg district Grimsby

Only because the middle name matched the birth reg. The other Margaret Lambert (d 1998) has middle name Evelyn (not Emily), but is in Newark district.

Which is the right death, Gary? If it's the Newark one then what middle name did she use when she got married?

We always thought she was Evelyn, but thought the Emily one was her when researching through ancestry etc.. and like many of her generation she had changed/confused her name... the family got split very early in life. we knew her as Evelyn

She died in April 1998 in Newark.

Merry
13-10-17, 11:22
Ok thanks.