PDA

View Full Version : GRO ref

Margaret in Burton
30-12-09, 14:10
I have found a marriage, 1979 so can't put it on here, the ref has 0869s as the page number.

Why would that S be there? Anyone know?

Merry
30-12-09, 14:45
The way the letters and numbers are layed out change a lot in the later years of registration, so I wouldn't like to say. If the date was earlier I would guess the entry had been added afterwards, but this could be for a perfectly straightforward admin error, not necessarily for some dodgy reason!! Whether page numbers often had letters on the end in the 1970's I don't know, sorry.

peppie
30-12-09, 15:21
I had one and when I ordered the cert, I realised it should have been the sept quarter and thought that was why?

Margaret in Burton
30-12-09, 15:31
Thanks Merry and Peppie.

It's not a cert I would send for, just curious.

Lancashire Lady
30-12-09, 18:21
I think, for that date (pre 1984), it means that that particular entry is a correction & there would be another reference for the same marriage. Probably the same but without the "s". Could be a correction to spelling or change of first name or something. Have you tried looking for the other partner in the marriage & see if 2 entries come up for it?

Margaret in Burton
30-12-09, 19:41
I thought you had something there at first Vicky but no.

On the transcriptions on Ancestry the mans surname is spelt slightly differently on her page than on his, 2nd and 3rd letters are transposed.
But, on the images they are the same. Not that then. :):)