View Full Version : Quibell family census please

Glen TK
18-09-17, 21:23
Evening all

In my tree I have the following chap & family in the 1851 at Bingham, Notts,
Benjamin Quibell , Head, M, 24, Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire

Susan Quibell , Wife, F, 24, Goxhill, Lincolnshire
Betsy A Quibell Dau, F, 2, Goxhill, Lincolnshire

I have a baptism for a Benjamin, 19 NOV 1826 Skellingthorpe, Lincoln, father recorded as Joseph.

Also a family search transcription of 1851 at Skellingthorpe, a Joseph Quibell, aged 62, born Great Markham Notts. I haven't been able to view any images to check the pob's.

I'd like to try and chase these two through the census to see if they are father and son plus pick up other family names to unravel some of the baptism stuff I'm finding.

I believe there may be a link to the Quibell family in Newark " Chemists & Druggists, Cake & Tillage Merchants, Coal Merchants, Manufacturers of Chemical Manures and seed merchants at Castle Gate", as this family is one of the early Quibells of East Markham I'm wondering if the Great Markham reference above is a mistranscribed entry.

Thanks in advance.

Merry
18-09-17, 22:11
Just going to bed, but as a start:

QUIBELL, BETSY ANN mmn SHEARMAN
GRO Reference: 1849 J Quarter in LINCOLN Volume 14 Page 492

Marriages Mar 1848
QUIBELL Benjamin Lincoln 14 669
Shearman Susan Lincoln 14 669

Merry
19-09-17, 06:27
I haven't been able to view any images to check the pob's.

Joseph's place of birth does say Great Markham. According to Google that is actually East Markham (there's also a West Markham and a Markham Clinton in Notts), so that's perhaps what you wanted to hear!

my tree I have the following chap & family in the 1851 at Bingham, Notts

The census page says Pasture Houses, Cotgrave, but I see FMP also has Bingham in the transcription - I was gong to ask if Bingham and Cotgrave were the same place.

Benjamin's pob does say Skellingthorpe in 1851. I noticed there's another Benjamin on the 1851 census of similar age to Joseph (b 1796) and b in Markham but living in Hackney, so possible brother to Joseph and uncle to the Benjamin on your tree?

I found Joseph in 1841 but Ben (1826) isn't with him at that date. (others are Mary 50, Joseph 20, Sarah 20 and John 9, all Yes for county)

Merry
19-09-17, 06:38
I wanted to find Joseph after 1851 but haven't the time now. All I did find was that his wife Mary died in 1874 and in 1871 she was a widow aged 81 at Wickenby, Lincs - I'm assuming I have the right Mary as it's quite likely there are many Quibells hiding under mashed transcriptions of that surname!!). I can't see a death for Joseph 1851-1871, but I've not had time to look properly.

There are a few bits and pieces on FMP re Joseph. Have to go now.

Merry
19-09-17, 19:12
Joseph Quibell was bap 16 Nov 1788 at East Markham, son of Thomas and Mary

There's a bap for a Benjamin with the same named parents 25 Jun 1795 at East Markham, who is probably the one in Hackney in 1851.

There are quite a few Thomas Quibells in East Markham.

Glen TK
19-09-17, 19:52
Thanks Merry, it looks to be a very tangled web, there's a few online trees and they contradict each other, I have a feeling they may be picking up the Thomas/Mary parents and attaching pretty much any East Markham baptism at times, like my Goulson lot there aren't a huge number of forenames to play with.

Bingham and Cotgrave are adjacent villages, perhaps three miles apart and almost at the junction of two major routes, they are only about 12 miles from Newark so the jump there for the Chemist Company lot isn't a huge shock. I do know the Chemist company was headed up by William Quibell (1806-83), born East Markham.

Merry
20-09-17, 06:47
I agree - tangled! No doubt you have some of this below already....

So your William b abt 1806 would be the one baptised 15 Oct 1805 son of William and Hannah.

William and Hannah would appear to be the couple married at EM on 07 May 1801 having looked around for other possibilities.

William and Hannah are on the 1851 census at Waddington Lincs. She is 69 and b in Markham and he is 79 b Notts Laneham.

This looks to be this William's baptism:

25 Dec 1773 at Laneham son of William and Sarah.

William Quibell m Sarah Holland at EM 17 Sep 1769.

On the other line, the Thomas Q who was the father of Joseph and the older Benjamin and who was married to Mary may have been the man who married Mary Smith at Weston Notts on 19 May 1778.

So, we have a William who may have been born in the 1740s and Thomas who may have been born in the 1750s. They could even be brothers, but also maybe nephew and uncle or cousins of any degree.

There are only two baps for a William Q within 20 years of 1745 (of course they are really close together!)

23 Jun 1745 son of Thomas and Grace at EM
and
04 Mar 1746 son of John and Mary at EM

No deaths for either of those two as children as far as I could see.

There are three baps for a Thomas Q within 20 years of 1755 (obviously with both Wm and Thomas there are any number of reasons that it could be that none of the following records are for the right person). One of those three baps makes Thomas too young to have married in 1778. The other two baps are:

26 Dec 1746 son of Thomas and Grace at EM
and
22 Jan 1750 son of John and Mary at EM

No burials as children for either of those two.

So, hardly clear cut! Could be siblings - but sons of which couple?, or could be any of the other relationships I mentioned earlier in this post.

Merry
20-09-17, 08:28
Thomas Q married Grace Monck or Moriah at Hawton Notts on 2 Feb 1743/44 Thomas was of EM.

John Q married Mary Hanyland or Stanyland at Fledborough cum Woodcoates Notts on 8 Jan 1740/41. They were both of Great Markham.

There's a bap for a John Q at EM Feb 1711 son of William.

There's a bap for a Thomas Q at EM Dec 1709 son of William.

I couldn't find any alternatives for these two.

So....... the most likely conclusion is that a William Quibell had two sons, Thomas and John around 1710. Both Thomas and John had sons William and Thomas in the 1740s. One of the two William's leads to your line and one of the two Thomas's leads to the line you introduced at the start of this thread.

I did notice there were some wills (of course if two men have sons with the same names they would probably have to leave something to grandchildren before you could work out who is who!!). In any case, these are the only wills I could see that might help (I have not looked at burials to see if age at death was given for any of these to see if they could fit the people mentioned already here):

Quibell John 1773 Prerogative & Exchequer Courts Of York Probate Index, 1688-1858 East Markham, Nottinghamshire, England

Quibell John 1824 York Peculiars Probate Index, 1383-1883 East Drayton, Nottinghamshire, England

Quibell William 1801 Prerogative & Exchequer Courts Of York Probate Index, 1688-1858 East Markham, Nottinghamshire, England

Quibell William 1797 Prerogative & Exchequer Courts Of York Probate Index, 1688-1858 Tuxford, Nottinghamshire, England

I probably should have said, nothing I have posted on this thread comes from parish register images - they were all transcriptions.

Glen TK
22-09-17, 22:52
Apologies for the late reply, a couple of non internet spots overnight in the truck this week. Thanks for all the info Merry, I'll try and digest it over the weekend alongside some news articles and snippets I've just discovered this evening.