PDA

View Full Version : Deleting a non-existent wife.

geniebug
10-09-17, 21:33
Could any one tell me please in Family Tree Maker, when you "delete" someone from a tree, as I did - how can I remove a non-existent wife.

For instance, I entered a wife to a man, and then realised I already had the wife elsewhere (unmarried), when I deleted the first "wife" and attached the "second" wife - it shows him married twice, when he was only married once. Is there a way to remove a 2nd marriage altogether?

kiterunner
10-09-17, 22:34
Which version of FTM is it, Jood?

geniebug
10-09-17, 22:54
Sorry, I meant to tell you it was FTM 11

Kit
11-09-17, 02:47
If you go into the Person part of the husband and delete the wrong marriage the extra wife should disappear.

geniebug
11-09-17, 04:05
Thanks Toni, I had already deleted the wife that wasn't supposed to be there, it just shows {no spouse entered} but it says he had 2 wives, when he only had one.

Kit
11-09-17, 06:33
When you delete the second marriage the no spouse entered thing should go away.

geniebug
12-09-17, 07:03
It didn't Toni :( No. 2 Non-existent wife has no marriage against and still shows [No spouse entered] and still shows 2 wives.

The real wife doesnt show a marriage either.

Lindsay
12-09-17, 10:14
I had this problem a while ago but can't remember how I resolved it.

A quick google brought up this:https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=6820&p=topics.software.famtreemaker

"You select the person with the unknown spouses in the People view and then choose the Person > Attach/Detach Person > Detach Selected Person menu item.

That should present you with a choice of families to detach him from. Two of those should show him as the father with an unnamed mother. If you detach him from each of those families the unnamed spouses should be gone."

geniebug
14-09-17, 04:05
Thanks Lindsay - I finally did it thanks to the site you sent me to!

Lindsay
14-09-17, 11:40
Glad you managed to sort it out.