PDA

View Full Version : Index to Lancashire wills and probate records 1457-1858 - findmypast

kiterunner
08-09-17, 08:47
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/lancashire-wills-and-probate-1457-1858

Mostly just index entries, but there are images for a few apparently. (I put "Index" in the title so people aren't disappointed!)

Janet
08-09-17, 20:34
[...] there are images for a few apparently. (I put "Index" in the title so people aren't disappointed!)

Hmm. You're so right to be wary, Kite. The images are not so apparent. Been trying all day. I can see the transcripts but the images give me a constantly spinning cursor. Hope they straighten this out soon because I'm needless to say deeply curious.

Thanks though!

EDIT: Ah, finally I remembered the old "just download it" trick. What a pain, but that does work.

AND AGAIN: What I've found so far is that the image is simply a repeat of the information you see in the transcription, except that in the image it is given in handwriting. Of course there is always a good likelihood of mistranscription, and worth the effort therefore to verify.

Jill
09-09-17, 07:36
Janet - in the images one of mine just had a sheet with a repeat of the same info as the transcript (it was the modern cover) when I clicked on the next image it was the original will.

Janet
09-09-17, 14:30
Thank you, Jill! Going back in.

Kit
11-09-17, 00:21
This Index is odd. I clicked on the order document thing which took me to the archives. I thought there might be more information there than on FMP.

I can not get the reference numbers to work on any record I am interested in, although a few random ones have worked. Even just searching the names on the archives is not giving a result.

Jill
15-09-17, 06:25
I used the link on the Find My Past entry to Lancs Archives to get a quote for one of my Kershaw's wills, it took a few days but at £7.50 it's cheaper than a more modern will. Guess it varies with how many pages though.