PDA

View Full Version : Deceased Online

Phoenix
01-09-17, 12:38
I notice that you have to pay (or have paid) to do advanced searches these days. I approve of this in principle, as I've used it for years, getting as much as I need without paying.

So, is a sub worthwhile? I know there are heaps of things I'd vaguely like to know!

kiterunner
01-09-17, 14:01
The sub costs £89, so you would only want one of those if you have a lot to look at! But you can use the advanced search if you pay as little as £5 for credits.

If you're thinking of taking out the £89 sub, do as much free searching as possible beforehand (or pay £5 first to use the advanced search) to see how much it would cost for all the stuff you want to view and see if it would be worth it.

Ancestry has an alternative search facility for Deceased Online's database but it has not been updated for a while, so doesn't include recent additions:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=70845

Also bear in mind that "Subscriptions allow you to view all records except maps and whole cemetery headstone collections, for which you will need pay-per-view vouchers."

NickiP
01-09-17, 23:50
At the time of WDYTYA Live this year they offered a 6 months subscription for £49 but was only available until the day after the event finished and wasn't widely advertised, only at the event itself. It was apparently well taken up (I did) so was hoping perhaps they would introduce a 6 months sub regularly but unfortunately nothing so far and mine expires at the beginning of next month. That said, I collected a large list of "wants" together prior to taking out the sub as had intended to eventually get a 12 month one. For now, I won't be renewing at the full price until I have built up a large wants list again - waiting for a few more London cemeteries to appear. It has been useful and a lot cheaper than PAYG but only because of the volume of entries I was interested in. As KiteRunner says though it doesn't include maps or headstone collections but I've only needed to get a couple of maps once a few years back. The detail in the entries varies though between cemeteries, some are more like day books with little information while others are the full burial registers.