PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

Phoenix
30-08-17, 12:43
Here is the entry on Freebmd
Births Mar 1844
Murphy Mary Ann Newington 4 349

It is not on the new GRO Index, so I queried it. This is their reply:

Report Type: Missing entry in the birth index Date Submitted: 19 Jul 2017 18:12
Name: Mary Ann Murphy Mother's Maiden Surname: Possibly Bygrave
Details: Surname misspelled?
Current Status: Investigated – No amendment required GRO Index Reference: 1844 M Newington 04 349
GRO Comments: Indexed data not available.

Does this mean they didn't film a single entry?

Mary from Italy
30-08-17, 13:16
How strange. I would query it.

I thought it said on the GRO website that they don't reply to reports, though?

Phoenix
30-08-17, 14:26
It sounds as if the copy is too hard to read, so hasn't been indexed. Other entries on the page are on the gro's index, so it can't mean a page has been lost.
Very odd.

Phoenix
30-08-17, 15:49
Well, I've contacted them, and listed all the other entries which do appear on the online index - all nine of them. Let's see if I get a reply which makes more sense.

Olde Crone
30-08-17, 20:41
Could it be a suppressed entry? I don't think they officially admit to suppressed entries.

OC

Phoenix
05-09-17, 10:49
Well, this is useful and informative :rolleyes:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The General Register Office (GRO) holds a central copy of all birth death and marriage registrations for England and Wales from 1 July 1837 and civil partnerships records since December 2005. For recent events registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months), applications for certificates should be made to the Register Office in the district where the birth, death or marriage took place. For further information please visit our website at www.gov.uk/register-offices.

GRO have now made historicbirth and death indexes available to search on our website. This does not prevent you from ordering marriage records or births and deaths that are more recent. Please select Place an Order and follow the instructions.

Please use the online form (https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_report.asp) to report details of any error you find in the indexes. The form is located at the bottom of the search results page. We are unfortunately unable to enter into any correspondence in respect of reported errors, except for an acknowledgement of your report. All reports will be investigated and where an error is found, we will update the Index to reflect the correct information. Updates to the indexes will be made on a weekly basis.

We hope that this information is useful to you.

Regards"

kiterunner
05-09-17, 11:27
Great.

Merry
05-09-17, 11:33
Please use the online form to report details of any error you find in the indexes.

That link just takes me to the Login page of the GRO site. I can't see where to report errors? Am I just not looking hard enough?

kiterunner
05-09-17, 12:30
Merry, if you log in the first time you click on that link, then click on it again, it will take you to the problem reporting form.

Merry
05-09-17, 13:17
Thanks Kate, that worked!