PDA

View Full Version : Tickle of Droitwich: Yay! (Wonderful Find)

rainbowdragon
21-08-17, 01:18
I recently decided to look into a neglected branch of my family tree (Brook of Droitwich), and so paid for a monthly subscription to FindMyPast, just to gather what information I could, such as information on apprenticeships.

I wasn't even planning, really, on research the Tickle family of Droitwich, but I decided to do a search anyway.

And there it was, the 1706 London apprenticeship record of George Tickle to Thomas Henly of the Butcher's Company of London. George Tickle, son of George Tickle, wheelwright of Droitwich (my direct ancestor). I didn't even know that my ancestor George had a son George; his baptism doesn't appear to be on the IGI.

And then I went to Ancestry, and did a search for George Tickle of London. And I just found his will! It lists his sister, Avis, under her married name, and has the place where she lives. I had her baptism, but I'd never found her marriage. So, this clears up yet another mystery as to George Tickle's children. He had 10, and there's only one who is now a complete mystery as to what happened to them. There's another daughter, Anne, whose marriage I have yet go sort out, but I at least have something to go on about that: there's two possible marriages for her.

I can't believe I have breathed new life into his line I have been researching for the last 30 years. I am so happy!

rainbowdragon
21-08-17, 02:44
Oh my god, I just found the will of Avis Norris, a previously unknown sister of George Tickle,wheelwright of Droitwich! It mentions a lot of cousins, and gives the name of another previously unknown child of George. It also explains why James Tickle, George's son, named a daughter Avis Norris Tickle, a mystery that was niggling at me for years. :)

ElizabethHerts
21-08-17, 07:09
I'm really chuffed for you. Wills have given me some of the best information on my early ancestors. It's great too when you can find wills for other members of the same family.

rainbowdragon
21-08-17, 07:23
Thanks! :)

I've already found a few other new family members on other lines, just from those London apprenticeship records, one dating from 1618

Merry
21-08-17, 07:59
Well done rainbowdragon :):):)

rainbowdragon
21-08-17, 08:26
Well done rainbowdragon :):):)

I've since found a few relatives who seemingly disappeared (to London as it turns out), and confirmed a son, Richard, of another direct ancestor, John Allen, yeoman, of Droitwich. I'd left off his baptism since I didn't have any firm proof that his father was my John Allen.

I'm going to be doing a lot of updating of my notes in the next few days. :)

Lindsay
21-08-17, 09:54
That's great! Isn't it amazing how one small piece of information can lead to so much more?

rainbowdragon
21-08-17, 11:10
Yeah, and every mystery you solve leads to at least two more new mysteries to solve.:d

rainbowdragon
21-08-17, 11:41
Another mystery solved: I just worked out that Avis Norris' maiden name wasn't Tickle, it was Henley or Handley, and that she was the sister of Elizabeth Hanley, George Tickle's wife. Which confirms the father of Elizabeth, so I'm one more generation back in that line. :)

Nell
22-08-17, 10:19
Well done, Rainbowdragon. It's lovely when you find a new thread to follow.

rainbowdragon
23-08-17, 04:19
Especially when the original brickwall I have been working on these last months is being particularly stubborn (new package of information arrived this morning ruling out one place my ancestor could have been baptised, and am headdesking)