View Full Version : A Baptism query

Muggins in Sussex
29-12-09, 17:24
This has been puzzling me! :confused:

Henry and Annie Wicks had 3 children:-

Henry William b. 1893

Beatrice Maud b. 1895

Florence Annie b. 1897.

The family is all living together in 1901 and also in 1911 (by which time they had had another daughter)

On 6th March 1898, Beatrice and Florence were christened together - but Henry William wasn't - and I can't find any christening for Henry William (maybe the Ancestry records aren't complete?)

It just seems odd!

Were parents more inclined to christen girls than boys ? - :confused

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 18:13
I suppose you did try Harry Wicks? Maybe it is mistranscribed, a lot of them are! :d

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 18:19
Of course he may have been baptised elsewhere. Have you found a birth registration for him?

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 18:20
Have you done a blanket search of 1893 for that parish in case it was just missed when they transcribed them all?

kiterunner
29-12-09, 18:23
and I can't find any christening for Henry William (maybe the Ancestry records aren't complete?)

The ancestry baptism records don't include all churches, so he may well have been baptised somewhere that isn't included, though you should also check for mistranscriptions.

I found a couple of children in my tree who were born in London were actually baptised on the Isle of Wight! It just happens that their baptisms are included in the BIVRI records on ancestry, otherwise I would never have thought of looking for them on the IOW.

Muggins in Sussex
29-12-09, 18:25
I suppose you did try Harry Wicks? Maybe it is mistranscribed, a lot of them are! :d

Thanks Joan - I didn't but I will:o

Of course he may have been baptised elsewhere. Have you found a birth registration for him?

Yes I have :) http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=8912&path=1893.Q3-Jul-Aug-Sep.W.29

Have you done a blanket search of 1893 for that parish in case it was just missed when they transcribed them all?

Thanks again Joan - no I haven't - how do I do that, please ? :o

Nell
29-12-09, 18:29
Joan

You can just try searching using his parents' names. I found a baptism I'd previously missed that way. The child's surname had been recorded in the baptism register as Roberts, when it should have said Robins.

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 18:49
If you look for the parents you will have to try Annie as Annie, Ann & Anne as well :(

Merry
29-12-09, 18:55
If you look for the parents you will have to try Annie as Annie, Ann & Anne as well :(

Or even Ann* :rolleyes::D

kiterunner
29-12-09, 18:56
You can just put Ann* (snap, Merry!)

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 18:57
Joan go to the "quick links" menu on the top right, then put in Tower Hamlets followed by the Parish, ie St Mark & the year you want to search. I would say start from his approx birth reg date first. Where was Annie from? Maybe they baptised him in her Parish.

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 18:58
You can just put Ann* (snap, Merry!)

Ooo I didn't know that :o:o

Muggins in Sussex
29-12-09, 19:04
Thanks everyone :)

Off to search again! :)

Ps I don't where Annie was from - other than London!

Merry
29-12-09, 19:44
Thanks everyone :)

Off to search again! :)

Ps I don't where Annie was from - other than London!

Her marriage cert is on Ancestry, so we know she was Annie Elizabeth Payne, dau of William John Payne, bootmaker and was b abt 1867 or so.

Muggins in Sussex
29-12-09, 20:02
Her marriage cert is on Ancestry, so we know she was Annie Elizabeth Payne, dau of William John Payne, bootmaker and was b abt 1867 or so.

Ooh thanks Merry :) - I had her in a census, which just gave her place of birth as "London":)

But now I have this http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_197735-00227&fn=Annie+Elizabeth&ln=Payne&st=r&ssrc=pt_t45875_p-1105327547_g32818_r-1105327547_h_l&pid=7082070 - St John's in Hackney

Many thanks

Joan of Archives
29-12-09, 20:05
How lovely his father was a dollmaker! :d

Merry
29-12-09, 20:28
I think her parents may have been William and Sophia, in which case she was b in Bethnal Green, according to the 1871, but she's not with them after that. They have another dau, Ellen, who could be the witness at Annie's marriage.

None of which helps find a baptism for Henry! I expect he was baptised in another church in Tower Hamlets, or elsewhere nearby, which isn't included in the LMA records on Ancestry.

Olde Crone
29-12-09, 21:55
I have occasional instances in my tree where the first born son (the Heir, in other words!) is baptised at what might be called the family seat. I am talking about quite humble people, not landed gentry.

The daughters and younger sons are either baptised at mother's stamping ground, or where ever the family happen to be living when the mood takes them.

I wonder if this some remnant of ancient tradition? Did Henry attend public school, by any chance?

OC

Kit
30-12-09, 06:05
My grandma was one of 12 children. The family lived in the same area all their life. I got the PR's for the local church but have only been able to find the baptisms of 3 of the 12. No idea where or if the others were baptised. The 3 were at random through the 12, not consecutive.

Muggins in Sussex
30-12-09, 06:36
How lovely his father was a dollmaker! :d

LOL Joan! He was also a doll maker in 1861 & 1871 - I supose they would have been wooden dolls (?) - although in 1871 it says "composition doll maker" - not sure what that means

I think her parents may have been William and Sophia, in which case she was b in Bethnal Green, according to the 1871, but she's not with them after that. They have another dau, Ellen, who could be the witness at Annie's marriage.

None of which helps find a baptism for Henry! I expect he was baptised in another church in Tower Hamlets, or elsewhere nearby, which isn't included in the LMA records on Ancestry.

Thanks Merry - I'll have another look later...my connection went last night :mad:

I have occasional instances in my tree where the first born son (the Heir, in other words!) is baptised at what might be called the family seat. I am talking about quite humble people, not landed gentry.

The daughters and younger sons are either baptised at mother's stamping ground, or where ever the family happen to be living when the mood takes them.

I wonder if this some remnant of ancient tradition? Did Henry attend public school, by any chance?

I don't know where he went school OC - but woyld think a public school was certainly a possibilty

OC

My grandma was one of 12 children. The family lived in the same area all their life. I got the PR's for the local church but have only been able to find the baptisms of 3 of the 12. No idea where or if the others were baptised. The 3 were at random through the 12, not consecutive.

Thank you Kit - If by any chance he was the only child of the family not to have been baptised it somehow seems a bit ironic! (that's not quite the word I want) :confused:

Kit
30-12-09, 09:40
Actually Joan you have me thinking. I am in contact with several of the grandchildren. I should ask them if they know if/where there parents were baptised. Hopefully they will know more than my Dad.

Olde Crone
30-12-09, 10:47
[Composition is a kind of rubber, so the dolls would be rubber. A skilled job]

OC

kiterunner
30-12-09, 10:51
What? (Sorry, didn't notice the stuff about doll-making on previous page!)

maggie_4_7
30-12-09, 14:25
Ooh thanks Merry :) - I had her in a census, which just gave her place of birth as "London":)

But now I have this http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_197735-00227&fn=Annie+Elizabeth&ln=Payne&st=r&ssrc=pt_t45875_p-1105327547_g32818_r-1105327547_h_l&pid=7082070 - St John's in Hackney

Many thanks

Well they were living in Hackney/Homerton when they got married the other two children were baptised just across the border at St Marks which is at the end of Cadogan Terrace the Tower Hamlets end at Victoria Park. One end is Hackney and the other end is Tower Hamlets so its possible Henry was baptised at St Johns the marriage church or a church within the Hackney/Homerton boundaries and it could be mistranscribed or the pages are missing.

I can't find my Great Grandmother's or one of my Great Grandfather's and yet I found all their siblings without exception in one church!

Nell
02-01-10, 15:29
I've found several instances of the eldest child being baptised in his mother's home parish even if the family lived quite a distance away. I've assumed it was a tradition - and a way of showing the child to his maternal grandparents whilst sparing them a long journey. Perhaps a chance for granny to show her grandchild off to her neighbours too in the days before bragging photo albums?!

Merry
02-01-10, 17:31
One of my families brought each child to the mum's home parish for baptism (nearly 250 miles - Northumberland to Cambridgeshire). From memory they had eight children, which made a lot of miles travelled!