PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Surnames in a Will

rainbowdragon
04-08-17, 07:00
Hi there. I have here part of the 1711 will of William Boulton, of Callow Hill, Feckenham, Worcestershire. I'm trying to identify the surnames of his godchildren, other than the Boulton surname. I think one is Prolly, one is Firnan, and one is Hues, though I'm not 100% about that. I am uncertain about the others, especially since they seem to be surnames I am not familiar eith. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry to the slight bluriness when zooming in: I used a scanner app on my ipad.

Thanks in advance.

https://i.imgur.com/c4BUHw6.jpg

Merry
04-08-17, 07:35
Might Prolly be Pretty?

Where does it say they are his godchildren?

rainbowdragon
04-08-17, 07:37
Yes, it could be Pretty.

The word "godchildren" is after that gap after the name of Sibell Bunniker(?)

Merry
04-08-17, 07:49
lol I was looking before their names and stopped reading when I reached that gap!

I'm not convinced that's Sibell? Looks more like a variation of Rebecca (Ribek..) except the R looks like lower case which makes little sense.

rainbowdragon
04-08-17, 08:03
Yeah, it's difficult to make out.

Could it be Isabell?

kiterunner
04-08-17, 08:36
Boulton, Pretty, Toft, Firnen, Boulton, Har??ie, Hues, Bunniker. Sorry, having trouble with Mary's surname, and not sure about Robert's.

I can't see a Z on the page to compare the first letter with, but I think it could be Zibell.

rainbowdragon
04-08-17, 08:39
Thanks, Kiterunner.

There don't appear to be any other Zs (if it is that letter) in the will but, yes, I can see it being that name.

rainbowdragon
04-08-17, 13:58
Thanks guys, I've likely identified at least two of the godchildren, using your ideas and wildcard searches on FamilySearch.

Henry Pretty of Feckenham
Sybil Bonaker of Feckenham and, possibly
Thomas Hewes of Feckenham (he was born earlier than the other two, so I am not as sure)

I sometimes wish I could slap people back through time. If only this scribe hadn't left those blotches! :mad:

Merry
04-08-17, 14:07
Or why couldn't the blotches be on the less important words?

rainbowdragon
04-08-17, 14:08
Or why couldn't the blotches be on the less important words?

I know, arrrggggghhhh!