PDA

View Full Version : What is "All Access"in Ancestry?

HarrysMum
28-05-17, 23:49
I have UK Heritage Plus so I get the Australian and New Zealand records, but I was looking at their membership rates this morning and saw there is one called All Access.

It is dearer than World, so presume it has more in it, but when I clicked to compare, it doesn't come up as an option.

Anyone know what it is? I can ring, but then I'd have to talk to person...lol

James18
29-05-17, 01:42
It has all those Fold2 archives, I think. No idea about specifics, though.

kiterunner
29-05-17, 08:56
It includes Fold3 and Newspapers.com, plus "Ancestry Academy" though I doubt that that last one would be much use.

http://www.ancestry.com/cs/us/allaccesseducation

HarrysMum
29-05-17, 10:43
Thanks.

James18
29-05-17, 12:25
Fold2, Fold3... whatever. :p

kiterunner
29-05-17, 14:24
Oh blimey - I've just seen a recent post on ancestry's Facebook page which says that "All access" membership includes "basic access to Fold3 and Newspapers.com", i.e. it doesn't even cover everything on those sites!

James18
29-05-17, 18:42
I can't see myself ever paying for anything other than UK access. I'm not interested in getting on this slippery slope of premium features.

HarrysMum
04-06-17, 18:46
I can't see myself ever paying for anything other than UK access. I'm not interested in getting on this slippery slope of premium features.

I doubt there is much more I can do with UK access, except go sideways. I use US and Europe a lot, need the world sub sometimes.

Kit
08-06-17, 03:02
What is fold 3? Military?

kiterunner
08-06-17, 07:49
Yes. It started out as US military only but is now adding other countries.

Ann from Sussex
08-06-17, 18:07
Ancestry took over fold3, an American historic military records site, a while ago and have been transferring all their military records - including the British ones - to it, then charging an arm and a leg extra for you to access them. I now find that military records for my family that I have viewed in the past as part of my Ancestry membership are closed to me unless I pay extra. The All Access subscription is £224.99 which is way more than I am prepared to pay. If you are only interested in British records of any kind but want to check military ones it looks as though you have to pay this inflated price which includes World membership, regardless of whether you will ever use the World records. You also have to register with fold3 as well as Ancestry. My World membership ends on 5th August and I won't be renewing it as I think Ancestry have become very greedy and when they ask why I'm not renewing (as they always do) I will tell them so.

kiterunner
08-06-17, 19:26
As far as I know, they haven't transferred any British records over from ancestry to Fold3, Ann. There is a discussion of it in the March minutes of the TNA User Advisory Group where they said that none had been transferred over, and that it is only the military records which ancestry have recently acquired or will acquire in the future which are exclusive to Fold3.

Link to PDF of TNA User Advisory Group minutes:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/user-advisory-group-minutes-2017-03.pdf

See section 4.1

James18
08-06-17, 19:39
Good on you, Ann.

Ann from Sussex
08-06-17, 21:29
As far as I know, they haven't transferred any British records over from ancestry to Fold3, Ann. There is a discussion of it in the March minutes of the TNA User Advisory Group (I think it is, will check later) where they said that none had been transferred over, and that it is only the military records which ancestry have recently acquired or will acquire in the future which are exclusive to Fold3.

In the last year when I tried to check something on an army service record for a great great uncle that I had previously had access to a few years ago, it told me I needed the All Access membership. Maybe that was an error that has been corrected. I don't know because I was so disgusted I haven't been back. Whatever the policy regarding existing records, I still think asking anyone to pay £224.99 for a year's subscription to access additional records is exorbitant and greedy.

HarrysMum
09-06-17, 07:13
I can see it wouldn't be much use for those with only UK family, but us Aussies have family from everywhere so for the extra $40 or so, possibly well worth it.

James18
13-06-17, 01:29
In the last year when I tried to check something on an army service record for a great great uncle that I had previously had access to a few years ago, it told me I needed the All Access membership. Maybe that was an error that has been corrected. I don't know because I was so disgusted I haven't been back. Whatever the policy regarding existing records, I still think asking anyone to pay £224.99 for a year's subscription to access additional records is exorbitant and greedy.
If previously accessible records are being moved behind a premium paywall then that is indeed disgusting -- especially if you already had them as sources on your tree.

Mary from Italy
13-06-17, 13:31
I've just accessed a British WW1 record with no trouble, and I have the World sub, not All Access.

Mary from Italy
02-10-17, 19:57
I've just taken out the 7-day free trial to Fold3.

If anyone else is thinking of doing it, you may find you have trouble getting your credit card accepted (it works like an Ancestry trial, ie. you have to give card details and then cancel before the trial is up).

They're apparently having trouble with their credit card readers, and I had to contact their support to get the free trial.

Having looked at the entries I was interested in, I found that Ancestry's transcription of one of them was completely wrong!

Ancestry said that my man was an army deserter, and gave his age and regimental number.

The image on Fold3 actually took me to the page of the Police Gazette immediately before the army deserters page; it turned out to be a list of habitual criminals, and the number wasn't a regimental number at all, but an "office register number".

The information was still useful, but Ancestry's transcription was totally misleading, so beware!

The Police Gazettes are definitely worth a look, because they have some quite detailed information, including descriptions (my man had a rupture and a missing finger joint).

Kit
02-10-17, 23:23
Thanks for this Mary. I might take out a trial when I know I have time.

What countries does Fold3 cover?

Mary from Italy
03-10-17, 00:35
It mostly has military records, and it seems to cover quite a few countries. I haven't looked at Australian records so far, but I did notice that they have the Aus WW2 service records.

UK records seem to come under the heading of International.

https://www.fold3.com/

marquette
04-10-17, 09:09
I have a Heritage Plus sub, but found that I cannot access those Sydney Anglican Parish records - it asks me to upgrade. Not important enough to me to do so, but with the recent free weekend, I was able to see them and found some birth and baptism and marriage dates that I did not have for relatives further out on my tree.