PDA

View Full Version : Death in Eastbourne

vita
28-05-17, 15:12
Could someone with a sub please be kind enough to let me have this report?

Its from the Eastbourne Gazette 21st Sep 1910 & concerns Mrs Emily Headland

Metford Lodge, Bolton Road, Eastbourne.

Thanks.

Merry
28-05-17, 16:44
Sub to where?

Merry
28-05-17, 17:27
I've found the entry on fmp (most of the words were mis-transcribed which is why I couldn't see it before!), but I can't find the section on the newspaper page in the link, sorry. :o

vita
28-05-17, 20:53
Thanks for trying, Merry.

Merry
29-05-17, 07:23
fmp had taken me to page 7 of the newspaper. I did eventually find a death notice for Emily on page 1:

HEADLAND.- September 17, at Metford Lodge, Bolton road, Emily, widow of the late Thomas Hughes Headland, aged 90.

Typically, having read all of pages 7 through to 1 looking for the inquest info you were after, I found it on page 8!

INQUEST ON A NONAGENARIAN.- An inquest was held yesterday afternoon at Metford Lodge, Bolton road, on the body of Mrs. Emily Headland, aged ninety, the widow of Mr. Thomas Hughes Headland, a well known resident of Eastbourne. At 2.30pm on Sept. 9 deceased, who had been bedridden for five years, attempted to get out of bed and fell, fracturing the upper part of her thigh bone. The jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased died from shock and bronchitis following the fracture.

vita
29-05-17, 11:31
Thanks, Merry - I'd almost given up on it. So sorry you had to go through all that to get

there. Take a break & have a cup of tea on me.

Merry
29-05-17, 11:50
lol *boils kettle* :)

James18
29-05-17, 14:56
Death in Eastbourne sounds like the title of a macabre League of Gentlemen series.

vita
29-05-17, 15:01
Death in Eastbourne sounds like the title of a macabre League of Gentlemen series.

Funny you should say that, James - as I was typing it yesterday I had similar

thoughts.

anne fraser
29-05-17, 17:37
I think Agatha Christie and Miss Marple could have investigated it satisfactorily. I would check to see if Emily had changed her will recently in favour of the matron of the home or the doctor. Seriously it would be a notifiable accident and there would have been an inquest because of that rather than any thoughts of foul play.

vita
29-05-17, 20:52
That's a vivid imagination you've got, Anne. Emily was my 3xg/aunt by marriage &

Metford Lodge was her home. She was a teacher & 14 years his junior when she became

Thomas's second wife. Thanks to Emily, he became a father for the first time at 47.

They moved to Eastbourne from London in 1862 & ran a hotel, then retired to Metford

Lodge. Piece of useless information : one of their lodgers was a curate named Valentine

Browne, ancestor of socialite Tara Browne who inspired the Beatles song "A Day in the

Life." (I've been looking for an excuse to share that!)