PDA

View Full Version : George Buttall

kiterunner
25-05-17, 22:42
I'm looking at the will of George Buttall, ironmonger of Wrexham, written 23 May 1677 and proved in 1679 (on the National Library of Wales website). He mentions his wife Grace, his brother Randle and several of Randle's children, so he is definitely the brother of the Randle Buttall who died in 1683. The first of Randle's children (who I know of) was born in 1636.

George Buttall married Grace Williams 17 Jul 1664 in Wrexham, but I suspect he was married before, to an Elizabeth, and is the George Butter who had several children baptised between 1633 and 1642 in Wrexham. (The other Buttalls are down as Butter in the Wrexham PR's at that time.) But if so, all those children must have died young as none is mentioned in George Buttall's will.

People mentioned in the will who I have yet to identify: "my sister Mary Crosby and her daughter Mary", "my brother-in-law Robert Lewis and his daughter Jennett Lewis", "my brother-in-law Griffith Williams" and "my brother-in-law Edward Williams".

Grace's will was written 24 Jan 1695-6 and proved 7 Jul 1697. She mentions "my niece Anne Loyd daughter of my niece Mary", "my niece Katherine Williams daughter of my brother Edward Williams of Mold in the County of Flint", "my cozen Edward Williams of Broughton in the County of Denbigh", "my niece Mary Challoner", "my niece Jane Price", "my nephew Henry Jones" and "my niece Grace Jones". I think these must all be Grace's relatives rather than George's as I haven't come across them in any Buttall wills as far as I can remember. But since she doesn't mention Jennett Lewis, I don't know whether that means that Robert and Jennett were related to George's first wife, or just that Jennett died between 1677 and 1695.

I would most like to identify Mary Crosby and her daughter Mary, as I don't remember coming across their names anywhere else but George calls Mary his sister rather than sister-in-law, which I wouldn't normally consider significant, except for the fact that he does say "brother-in-law" for the other relatives.

Any ideas, please?

kiterunner
05-06-17, 22:43
Jonathan Buttall, one of Randle's sons, a sugar baker of Battersea, named Mr Edward Lewis of London as overseer of his will of 1695.

The will of Edward Lewis of London, sugar refiner, was written on the 5th Jun 1714 and proved 3 Dec 1716 by the PCC. Among other people, it mentions his wife Esther, his sons Edward, Thomas and Percival, daughter Esther, daughter Ann Chapman (wife of the Reverend William Chapman), niece Mary Roberts, nephews John and Edward Lewis, niece Mary Cother, niece Priscilla Hale, cousin Martha Herbert and her sister ____ Williams, and "my sister Hemings".

This could all be a red herring, but I'm wondering whether we can find out more about Priscilla Hale and Martha Herbert in particular, because Jonathan Buttall mentioned his cousins Daniel Hailes and John Herbert in his will, so could there be a connection between these people? I don't have any other information about Daniel Hailes and John Herbert.

Possible marriage for Edward Lewis - 14 Oct 1675 at St Mary Islington to Hester Pools, but I don't know whether this is the right one. Percival Lewis was apprenticed in 1700, and there is a possible marriage for William Chapman and Anne Lewis 18 Apr 1705 at St Olave Old Jewry, though it doesn't say that he was a Reverend on the marriage record.

The will of Thomas Lewis of London, sugar refiner, 1761, mentions various people in the same family but doesn't help with the above.

Merry
06-06-17, 06:58
There's this bap on ancestry:

Daniel Harles
Baptism
Aug 1686
Christ Church, Surrey
Daniel,
Priscilla

The surname is Hailes on the entry (top of right-hand page).

There are two further baps (surname Hales) with father Daniel, no mother listed, at St Mary, Newington, Surrey - Saml 1688, Sarah 1691. EDIT and another one, with no forename transcribed, in 1697.

I saw a burial for a Priscilla Hales (sp?) in 1740 in Newington (I think), but don't have time to check that now. Haven't looked for a marriage Dan to Priscilla.

Merry
06-06-17, 07:54
fmp has Boyd's 1st miscellaneous marriage index, 1415-1808:

Daniel Hales marrying Priscilla Hill at Temple Church in London in 1685.

Merry
06-06-17, 08:11
Ancestry also have a transcription, but that says Priscilla Hill and Charles Hayels! Date is 26 Oct 1685.

kiterunner
06-06-17, 09:25
Ooh, those look good. Thanks. Now, I wonder how they are connected to Jonathan Buttall and to Edward Lewis! I think Jonathan Buttall's wife was Sarah Strange, though I've never been able to prove it, and his mother's name was Jane - some trees have her as Jane Nicholson or Nickerson, but I don't know where they got that from.

Merry
06-06-17, 10:45
I couldn't see a bap for Priscilla Hill - I did only look for a short time though. There was one in 1652 but I thought that was a bit early really. Had it been right the parents were John Hill and Priscilla, probably nee Wynn (m 1650).

kiterunner
06-06-17, 11:04
Wynn. That's interesting as Jonathan's sister Martha married Thomas Wynne. I can't access my family tree at the moment, being on a library computer which only has IE, but luckily there is a lot about that couple on the internet. I can't find anything saying they had a daughter called Priscilla though.

Merry
06-06-17, 11:17
Well, I only chose that marriage because it fitted for date and rough area....

baps at St Olave Hart St London

John 1651
Priscilla 1652
Elizabeth 1653
Richard 1655
Marie 1657
Elizabeth 1659

marriage Hill/Wynn Feb 1650 St John's Hackney

kiterunner
06-06-17, 14:24
Oh, I misread m 1650 as b 1650 earlier! Thomas Wynn and Martha Buttall married in the 1650's, so Priscilla Wynn couldn't be their daughter. Hmmm...

Merry
06-06-17, 14:28
Where did Thomas and Martha get married?

kiterunner
06-06-17, 16:44
Supposedly in Wrexham, though I haven't found a record of it. Martha is supposed to have been a Quaker and to have persuaded Thomas to convert.

kiterunner
06-06-17, 17:02
This is the Priscilla Hailes burial that you found but it doesn't have any further info (Prissela Hailes buried 12 Sep 1740 St Mary Newington):

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1624/31280_198027-00113/2604070?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk %2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdb%3dLMAearlyparish%26gss%3dsfs28_ ms_r_db%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26MS_AdvCB%3d1%26gsln %3dha*s%26gsln_x%3d1%26msddy%3d1740%26msddy_x%3d1% 26gskw%3dnewington*%26gskw_x%3d1%26MSAV%3d2%26MSV% 3d0%26uidh%3dvm5&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

kiterunner
06-06-17, 17:19
There are two further baps (surname Hales) with father Daniel, no mother listed, at St Mary, Newington, Surrey - Saml 1688, Sarah 1691. EDIT and another one, with no forename transcribed, in 1697.

The 1697 baptism says "a birth of Danl Hales's". There is a Mary, daughter of Danl Hales, buried 1 Aug 1700, so possibly that was her baptism.

Daniel Hales was buried 1 Dec 1719, and his son Daniel was buried 8 Oct 1690.

Merry
06-06-17, 17:42
So if the Newington Daniel Hales was the one mentioned in Jonathan Buttall's will then it would have to be the father and not the son.

Merry
06-06-17, 17:52
Supposedly in Wrexham, though I haven't found a record of it. Martha is supposed to have been a Quaker and to have persuaded Thomas to convert.

Presumably that was later in life than when they married as Quakerism didn't get going until the mid 1650s and I don't think it reached North Wales until a decade or two later. Do you know if this couple remained in Wales or moved to London (or anywhere else?!)

Merry
06-06-17, 17:54
Is Jane Wynne who married Edward Bellis in 1788 their daughter? The marriage entry says her father was Thomas Gwynne glover of Chester and his wife, Martha.

kiterunner
06-06-17, 18:08
Presumably that was later in life than when they married as Quakerism didn't get going until the mid 1650s and I don't think it reached North Wales until a decade or two later. Do you know if this couple remained in Wales or moved to London (or anywhere else?!)

Martha died about 1670 and Thomas remarried twice and emigrated to America and has his own Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Wynne

kiterunner
06-06-17, 18:14
I should add that the Wikipedia page isn't correct about everything, though, as it has him marrying Mrs Elizabeth Rowden in 1676 with her accompanying him to America, but actually he married Mrs Elizabeth Maud(e), nee Parr in 1676 and it was her who went to America with him. He seems to have married Mrs Elizabeth Rowden after Martha died but before 1676

Merry
06-06-17, 18:42
Is Jane Wynne who married Edward Bellis in 1788 their daughter? The marriage entry says her father was Thomas Gwynne glover of Chester and his wife, Martha.

So this is a red-herring as the marriage record says Martha s living and Thomas is dead!

kiterunner
06-06-17, 19:20
Thanks. I've been looking at various Ha(i)leses and getting nowhere, except that the will of Samuel Hailes, whipmaker, 1737, is witnessed by a George Hodges! I suppose probably not my George Hodges, though, even if it is the same Samuel Hailes who was son of Daniel and Priscilla. (My George Hodges being a grandson of Jonathan's brother Samuel Buttall).

kiterunner
08-06-17, 17:39
Going back to Edward Lewis, the records of Wrexham parish church (payments etc) mention Mr Edward Lewis in the 1660's, "Mr Edward Lewis", steward of Lord Camden, but of course I don't know whether it's the same Edward Lewis or not. Also, Robert Lewis of Stansty was churchwarden of Wrexham 1718-9, but again, I don't know whether that's the same Robert Lewis who was George Buttall's brother in law. Though probably not as it's a long time later.

Edit - think we can ignore the above Robert Lewis now (see next post).

kiterunner
08-06-17, 18:47
The National Library of Wales website has the nuncupative will of Robert Lewis, blacksmith of Wrexham, made on the 13th Oct 1677, and it leaves everything to his daughter Jane, the wife of John Jones of Merford (now Marford, according to Wikipedia), also a smith, his daughter Jonett, and his daughter Mary (sorry, misread it and didn't realise Jane and Jonett were two different people!). The probate info (in Latin) mentions Janetta Lewis and Maria Lewis.

There is also the will of Edward Lewis, blacksmith of Wrexham, 1673, which mentions his brother Robert Lewis.

I'm not sure yet whether the Edward Lewis who died in 1716 was related to these people, but at least this Robert Lewis must be George Buttall's brother-in-law. Shame his will doesn't say who his wife was!

Merry
08-06-17, 18:54
The trouble with Denbighshire is there are only about half a dozen surnames, making research so difficult, but you know that! lol

And yes, it probably should say Jones!

kiterunner
08-06-17, 19:05
Ooh, they also have the will of Jane Jones, wife of John Jones, blacksmith, of Merford in the county of Flint, proved 1719, "haveing had and reserv'd such power to myself by certaine writeings beareing date the 27th of March 1676 made betweene George Buttall & John Jones the elder and by bond from my said husband to the said George Buttall made to the same effect". She mentions her sister Mary Lewis spinster, and her sister Jonett Hughes the wife of William Hughes of Bentreyvellin in the county of Flint, blacksmith. Also she says that George Buttall was her uncle. Also mentions "My cousin Mary Rogers the daughter of my uncle Roger ap Roger".

kiterunner
08-06-17, 19:07
The trouble with Denbighshire is there are only about half a dozen surnames, making research so difficult, but you know that! lol

And yes, it probably should say Jones!

Sorry, I got it in a muddle - have corrected it now. There were three daughters, Jane, Jonett, and Mary.

But now I'm confused as to why Jane left stuff to Jonett and Mary which she said had been left to her by George Buttall. I thought it was Jonett he mentioned! Will have to go back and check his will now...

kiterunner
08-06-17, 19:13
Oh, no, of course, it's what was given to her in the marriage settlement, not left to her in his will.

kiterunner
08-06-17, 19:14

At least Buttall is a very rare name, so if I find one of those in Denbighshire it's sure to be one of mine.

Merry
08-06-17, 20:08
Very true.