PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Parents of Harry Wallace.

CuriousKat
28-04-17, 20:28
Evening!
Can you help locate Harry's folks?
Harry Wallace born 31/5/1905 to Harry & Jane Wallace
Baptism entry

First name(s) Harry
Last name Wallace
Birth year 1905
Birth date 31 May 1905
Baptism year 1905
Baptism date 21 Jun 1905
Baptism place York, St Thomas
Denomination Anglican
Father's first name(s) Harry (Says he's an engineer)
Mother's first name(s) Jane
County Yorkshire (Ainsty & City of York)
Country England
Archive Borthwick Institute for Archives
Archive reference B-PR-Y-THO-3
Page 274
Record set Yorkshire Baptisms
There is a gro entry that correlates giving mmn as Irving but I can't match up a marriage record.
In 1911 he's living with David & Mary Gilbert in York, listed as a nursing child? He is eventually adopted by them becoming Harry Wallace Gilbert & he's living with them in York in 1939.
I'm looking to see who where his parents & what happened to them. Not that I hold out much hope he's connected to the mysterious Frederick Gilbert! ????

Merry
28-04-17, 21:30
In 1901 there's a Jane Irving aged 17 living in York with her parents Samuel W and Allison Irving.

In Q1 1906 Allison Irving died in York and by 1911 Samuel and daughter Jane had moved back to Gateshead where Jane was born. In 1909 Jane married Ernest William Hindmarsh in Gateshead.

I think there's a reasonable chance this Jane is the mother of Harry and she was never married to Harry Wallace.

Mary from Italy
28-04-17, 21:55
I checked the GRO site for other Wallace children with mmn Irving at about the right time, but didn't find any, so I should think Merry's right.

CuriousKat
29-04-17, 09:08
How interesting, i wonder who the father Harry Wallace is? Very strange that they baptised him together & then gave him up? Or has any one seen that before?
The Gilbert's took in a nephew as there own too, sounds like they were kind hearted people.

Merry
29-04-17, 09:18
Very strange that they baptised him together

You don't know that; only that these were the named parents - for all we know neither of them were at the baptism or perhaps just one, or maybe both.

I take it you have no record of an address for the 'family' at the baptism?

CuriousKat
29-04-17, 12:24
You don't know that; only that these were the named parents - for all we know neither of them were at the baptism or perhaps just one, or maybe both.

I can find it in 1911 but not 1901! So frustrating. Would there not of been notes in the baptism entry if the parent/s wern't there?

kiterunner
29-04-17, 12:42
No, not usually.

kiterunner
29-04-17, 12:46

The image is on FMP and free for everyone to view at the moment thanks to their free BMD and census event:
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2f13-0743_gb-yor_parish-registers-b-pr-y-tho-3-1537-1900%2f00138&parentid=gbprs%2fyorkshire%2fbap%2f302781117&highlights=%22%22&fulfillmentTypeKey=6803

The address is 14 Diamond Street.

kiterunner
29-04-17, 12:58
The people at 14 Diamond Street on the 1901 and 1911 censuses don't look likely to be connected.

I had a mysterious Engineer who was the father of someone in my tree and he turned out to be in the Royal Navy, so it would be worth looking at Navy records for Harry Wallace sr in case he was too.

Mary from Italy
29-04-17, 14:30
Might be worth searching to see if the Gilberts have any relatives called Wallace or Irving, or any connection with Diamond Street.