PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper articles help please

Margaret in Burton
25-04-17, 16:54
I'm useless at searching newspapers. I'm looking for some court records of a maintenance payment for a child. Not sure of the fathers name but it is probably one of two people. John Charles Matkin of Burton upon Trent or George James Rodgers also of Burton upon Trent. The mother was Louisa Howard nee Porter. All of these people are deceased. The child was born on 2nd February 1933 in Burton upon Trent and then moved with her mother to Birmingham. This isn't my family I'm helping a friend. The child is still living and she remembers going to the courts in Birmingham to collect the money.
Would maintenance hearings be published in newspapers?

kiterunner
25-04-17, 17:28
If they were then I guess it would be in the local paper for Burton on Trent, but the British Newspaper Archive only has the Burton Daily Mail from 1915 to 1917 at the moment. My guess is that it would be more likely to be in the paper if he didn't pay up and had to be pursued by the court for payments, but still only likely to be the local paper.

Margaret in Burton
25-04-17, 18:13
Burton Library has local newspapers on microfilm but it would be a hard slog searching.

Olde Crone
25-04-17, 19:06
I do remember in my teens that maintenance orders were published in the local paper along with other matters dealt with in the magistrates court. They named father and mother. I think this was part of the social " punishment" for having a child out of wedlock.

OC

kiterunner
25-04-17, 19:14
I didn't think of searching before because of the fact that the dates are too early, but if you search on the BNA for "maintenance order" in the Burton Daily Mail, some do come up.