PDA

View Full Version : Bushes of Sison and Hohum

kiterunner
18-04-17, 22:45
The Visitation of London 1568 (... since augmented...) says that Robert Brett of Lincolnshier gent married Elizabeth Bush, the daughter of Edward Bush of Sison, 3[rd] bro[ther] to the Bushes of Hohum.

I don't have exact dates for them (Robert and Elizabeth), but their son Robert was the father of children born from 1555 onwards in London, so I guess that Robert sr and Elizabeth were born late 15th / early 16th century.

Does anyone have any ideas where Sison and Hohum were, please? I don't know whether they were in Lincolnshire, London, or somewhere else! Robert Brett of Lincolnshire was originally from Somerset so that's another possibility.

Janet
19-04-17, 04:40
Help any???

Hohum - British History Online (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol6/pp67-69)

Sison - British History Online (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-cecil-papers/vol19/pp614-625)

kiterunner
19-04-17, 08:36
It does, Janet. Thanks.

kiterunner
19-04-17, 11:19
I see that "Virginia Gleanings in England" has the spellings as Sisson (which fits with that British History Online link) and Hoburn, which I assume would be Holborn, London.

kiterunner
26-08-18, 11:06
Coming back to this, I found that the Visitation of Lancashire by William Flower 1567 has this in the pedigree titled "Biron of Clayton":
Sir Nicholas Byron, knt = ...... daughter of Sir John Bushie (Bussy) of Hougham, co Lincoln, knt.

There are three generations shown below this couple, with the last generation presumably being children at the time. So the "Hohum" that I'm looking for could be Hougham, Lincs, and my Edward Bush could be a brother or cousin or nephew or some other relative of Sir John Bushie. Hougham, Lincolnshire, looks a lot easier to research than the Hohum in Lancashire! And of course Robert Brett was of Lincolnshire. So maybe the "Sison" mentioned was also in Lincolnshire?

kiterunner
26-08-18, 11:11
Aha, looking at the map, there is a Syston a few miles north of Grantham, not far from Hougham. (Very close to Belton House, where I've been several times.)

kiterunner
26-08-18, 14:29
I've found the pedigree of the Bussy family of Hougham in the Visitation of Lincolnshire 1562, but it's not very clear exactly which of the Bussy family Edward Bush was third brother to. There are a few Edwards or Edmonds in the pedigree around the right time but none seems to fit the bill.

I'm sure that Hougham must be Hohum though.

kiterunner
26-08-18, 14:57
Found this (by Googling) in the Thoroton Society Record Series Vol III: Abstracts Relating to Nottinghamshire:

Delivered into Court, 17 October, 37 Henry viij (1545)
Sir John Aleyn for certain considerations granted and by his writing, dated 5 May, 33 Hen viij (1541), confirmed to Edward Bussy of Syreston in Co. Lincoln (sic) esquire, an annuity of £20 issuing out of the manor of Balderton and of all the lands and tenements which late were of Sir John Bussy, knight, his father, in Balderton, Codynton, Barneby, Syreston, Stoke, Starethorpe, Holme and Knapthorpe, and of all the lands and tenements of the said Sir John Aleyn in co. Nottingham. To have, hold and take the said annuity to the said Edward and his assigns to his own use for term of his life in Balderton church.

The "sic" is presumably because they would have thought Syreston meant Syerston, Nottinghamshire, but as it says Lincolnshire, it fits with it being Syston.

So it looks as though my Edward Bush was the son of a Sir John Bussy, There are a lot of them in the Bussy of Hougham pedigree but maybe all too far back - not many dates in there.

kiterunner
26-08-18, 16:02
And this in Lincolnshire Archives' online catalogue gives the modern versions of those place names, but more importantly, shows that Edward had brothers Miles and Edmund:

Grant, Surrender and Confirmation, Ref Name CRAGG/3/34, date 31 Jul 1535. Edmund Bussy and Edward Bussy, esquires, to John Smyth esq, Alan Hord, William Whorwod, John Aleyn junior, Christopher Aleyn, and Edward Brysley, to the use of John Aleyn, knight... the manor of Balderton with appurtenances in Balderton, Coddington, Barnby, Syerston, East Stoke, Staythorpe (in Averham), Holme and Knapthorpe (in Caunton), all Nottinghamshire, which their brother Miles granted them for the term of their lives.

I think I see where he fits in the Bussy family pedigree now.